Editorial Board

Scott Shafer’s replacement should be named soon to reduce risk and uncertainty

Russ Scalf | Contributing Photographer

Scott Shafer is no longer the leader of the Syracuse football program, and The Daily Orange Editorial Board believes that his replacement needs to be named soon.

The last time Director of Athletics Mark Coyle had to replace a football coach, at Boise State, it took him five days — a swift course of action that Syracuse University should follow as it moves to find a replacement for former head football coach Scott Shafer.

Shafer was fired last Monday after holding the Orange’s head coaching position since 2013. As of Sunday night, a replacement has not been named.

To minimize the risk that stems from the uncertainty that can come without a football coaching staff, the university should act quickly in announcing a new coach. Putting off the appointment puts the department in a vulnerable position during recruiting season which means committed players are unsure of the team’s leadership and potential recruits are likely not being sought out on an active basis.

Delaying the hiring process also has the potential to shrink the pool of coaching candidates from which SU Athletics is able to choose, as more than 10 major Division I schools are currently searching for new head coaches, including high profile jobs at University of Southern California, University of Miami and University of Maryland.

Because the state of SU’s program is in flux, the university can help maintain stability for its football program by making it a priority to retain current members of the recruiting staff. Keeping at least one current recruiting assistant or coordinator would function as a strong back-up plan for SU Athletics to help during this transitional period.

It is important to acknowledge that there may be, or have already been, discussions behind the scenes with a solid plan in place for the future of SU’s football program, considering Sports Illustrated reported Saturday that Coyle and Chancellor Kent Syverud have already travelled to interview candidates for the position.

However, announcing a replacement as soon as possible will help eliminate the mounting uncertainty that could lead to SU losing recruits and missing out on solid candidates, for both the team and its coaching staff.

After a season that saw one of the football teams’ longest losing streaks since 2005, SU Athletics cannot afford to hold off on the appointment of a new head coach. In moving quickly to secure and name a strong candidate who is fit to lead the Orange, the university can ensure it is actively working on a forward-looking timeline into the team’s next season.