Veteran-Focused Medical School

Report shows concern over how possible veteran-focused medical school would affect other SU resources

As part of the faculty advisory committee's report into the feasibility of a veteran-focused medical school at SU, many concerns were raised over the financial stability of the school.

If Syracuse University is to move forward with its plans for a veteran-focused medical school, it will need to address whether or not it will negatively affect the school’s other resources, according to a faculty advisory report.

In a 107-page report released on Oct. 23 and obtained by The Daily Orange, the Faculty Advisory Committee for the proposed four-year veteran-focused medical school noted 12 main findings regarding the future of the project. The report also included nearly 50 pages of faculty feedback on the idea. One constant theme was whether the proposed new medical school would draw from other resources at the university in order to be successful.

One of the report’s findings states that a necessary condition for the proposed College of Medicine to succeed is an economic model and resourcing strategy that does not diminish existing programs, schools and colleges.

The university administration has asserted that funding and resources from the state and federal governments would be necessary for the project to move forward, according to the report. However input gathered by the committee from faculty shows that there’s still skepticism that the College of Medicine can be self-supporting.

There is concern among faculty that funding will be drawn from other campus activities to cover the costs of the medical school, or that bonds will be used to cover the cost, which would contribute to the university’s debt, according to the report.

Another issue raised by some faculty is that the costs associated with the project aren’t fully understood.

“Those offering this view believe a realistic cost per faculty member of $2-3 million will be required to recruit retain and fully support the faculty to populate the new college of medicine,” the report states.

According to the report, the advisory committee believes that the concerns expressed could largely be addressed by a concerted communications effort.

Faculty members were invited to take a survey to provide input regarding specific questions about the concept of the proposed veterans-focused medical school. In addition, they could provide a written response with additional comments. Several of the submitted comments, listed in the report anonymously, showed concern regarding the potential cost of the project.

“I have a hard time understanding how at a time when the university is facing serious financial problems we want to undertake a College of Medicine,” one response read. “What would happen when the revenue estimates don’t materialize? Will SU then raid the budgets of other schools and programs? Is this really an idea that should be our top priority now considering our needs in so many other areas?”

One faculty response stated that “the current financial condition of the university is not well-suited for this type of endeavor,” while another submission read “I believe that the resources available are insufficient to favorably support research agenda of a medical school.”

In a separate part of the advisory committee’s report, Tripp Umbach, a leading economic impact research firm, stated that if SU were to collaborate with the Veterans Administration on the veterans-focused medical school, it would have a positive financial impact on the region. This includes millions of dollars in revenue and thousands of jobs by 2025, according to the report.

Faculty Advisory Committee Final Report