Humor

Cuneo: A breakdown of my Thanksgiving break movie binge

I’m not an avid movie watcher. It’s not that I don’t like them, I just prefer television due to personal preference and convenience. To go out to the movies you need to prepare yourself for a two-hour (or in the case of “Boyhood,” 15-hour) emotional endeavor, whereas with television you can binge-watch to your heart’s desire. I’m a sitcom junkie, which makes it even more delicious as the episodes of my personal favorites normally range from 22 to 30 minutes. This week I had some down time, and between bouts of eating turkey and breathing, I was able to catch quite a few movies over the last couple of days.

“Inside Out”

I’m so jealous of people who were young when this movie came out. Where was this beautiful piece of filmmaking when I was in high school and trying to figure out why I was so angry and horny? This movie captures the imagination while simultaneously destroying it in the most perfect way. Additionally, this movie allowed me to realize that moving your kid during their formative years will probably scar them for life if they create enough memories in the previous home.

“Up in the Air”

Yes, there is some irony in the fact that I am typing this from a plane right now and that people have mistaken me for George Clooney. This movie was a great lesson about flying, in that if you do it long enough, you get to meet Sam Elliott. Every time that guy says “Coors: The Banquet Beer” I feel like I am being wrapped up in a deliciously warm blanket of masculinity. It is my life’s work to fly enough miles to hear him coo this into my ear as I eat a bag of PopCorners Kettle flavored chips.

“Rounders”

Oh Matt Damon, what are you doing in New York? This movie was a beautiful reminder that being a lawyer is always pointless and super boring and that you should take risks at every turn. Additionally, if you have a gambling addiction, think positive and turn it into a career.

“Up”

Another Pixar movie? How could I possibly miss the opportunity to watch an old man and a boy carry a completely intact house for what felt like hundreds of miles with balloons attached to strings? Animated or not, this is one of the greatest physical accomplishments ever, right behind Rocky Balboa winning his sixth and final fight (and right behind Charlie Conway’s triple deke in “The Mighty Ducks.”) I don’t care how many balloons were holding this structure in the air — my guess is 99 luftballons — you have to give these two guys credit, especially with their chemistry problems in the first act. Lastly, whenever you get the chance to watch the saddest montage of life in the history of cinema, you take that chance and run with it.

“Black Swan”

People think that you should be terrified of lions, tigers or bears. But this movie reminds you never to count out swans, especially if they can dance. This movie is a beautiful insight into the culture of highly competitive New York City ballet, but an even more incisive look into swans. We all thought they were just birds with giraffe necks who wouldn’t hurt a fly, and there they go breaking old women’s hands.

And no, I did not notice that there was a love scene between Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis, why do you ask?

Danny Cuneo is a senior television, radio and film major. He has fallen asleep in a movie theater before, and he’ll probably do it again. He can be reached at dacuneo@syr.edu.