Men's Soccer

Buescher named to All-ACC 1st team, 3 others earn honors

Sam Maller | Staff Photographer

Julian Buescher unloads his second goal of the Oct. 20 game against Hartford. His penalty-kick goal put SU up 2-1.

Syracuse sophomore midfielder Julian Buescher was named to the All-Atlantic Coast Conference first team, the conference announced Tuesday.

Junior midfielder Oyvind Alseth earned third team honors and defenders Miles Robinson and Kamal Miller were selected to the All-ACC freshman team.

Buescher leads the Orange with eight goals, seven assists and 23 points. He is the only player on the team to register at least one shot in every game this season. As a freshman last season, Buescher made the All-Freshman team and second team All-ACC.

Alseth is tied for third on the team with 11 points. He switched to the central midfielder position this season, but has split time between that spot and his old position of wingback while midfielder Korab Syla has been hurt.

Robinson and Miller are part of a three-man back line for the Orange that has started every game. Robinson has scored three goals and is fourth on the team with 18 shots, while Miller has found the back of the net twice. The duo have contributed to five Syracuse shutouts.

Syracuse also moved up two spots to No. 13 in the coaches poll on Tuesday after defeating then-No. 5 North Carolina in penalty kicks on Sunday in the quarterfinals of the ACC tournament.

The Orange (11-5-3, 3-4-1 Atlantic Coast) will face No. 2 Clemson (15-1-2, 6-1-1) at 7 p.m. on Wednesday in South Carolina in the semifinal of the ACC tournament. Clemson led the conference with four players named to the first team.