week in review

Week in Pulp: Apple orchards, pizza tours

Chase Guttman | Asst. Photo Editor

An Abbott Farm employee prepares apples for the cider-making process.

This week, Pulp brought you pizza tours, alternative concerts and powerful films. Find all these and more in this week’s review. Click on the headings and orange text to read the full story.

1. SU alumnus gives pizza tours

100115_P_Pizza_Courtesy

Courtesy of Scott Weiner

To mark the start of National Pizza Month, Pulp talked to Scott Weiner, an SU alumnus known for his love of cheesy and saucy goodness. Weiner holds the Guinness World Record for the largest collection of pizza boxes; he now owns over 1,000 boxes from all over the world. He owns and operates Scott’s Pizza Tours, a company that gives guided tours of some of New York City’s most famous pizza joints. Scott’s colleagues said that people often leave the tour comparing notes and have a new appreciation for the history of pizza and its many different styles.

2. X Ambassadors coming to SU

XAmbassadors

Courtesy of University Union

X Ambassadors will headline the first Bandersnatch concert of the year this Wednesday night. The Ithaca, New York, band is known for its hit song “Renegades,” which stayed at the top of the Alternatives charts for 11 weeks straight. The band members include brothers Sam and Casey Powell, vocalist and keyboardist, respectively, guitarist Noah Feldshuh and drummer Adam Levin. “Renegades” was inspired by Casey’s kidney transplant which he received from his mother. The opening act will be up-and-comer Tribe Society out of New York City.

3. Human Rights Film Festival

ILLO FOR WEB actual

Dani Pendergast | Art Director

The Human Rights Film Festival took over SU this weekend, bringing films from all over the world to the local community. The films covered a wide range of human rights issues, including terrorism, LGBTQ rights and the coal industry. If you missed the festival, Pulp broke down each movie in the lineup. SU professors Roger Hallas and Tula Goenka organize the festival and said they try to include movies that would be difficult to find otherwise.

4. SU and ESF students make movie

092815_P_MeetMonday_GabriellaJones_SP

Gabriella Jones | Staff Photographer

SU alumnus Nicolas Sessler and State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry senior Caleb Rudge formed a bond over urban planning, so they made a movie about it last semester. “Destiny USA: The Movie” tells the story of a young man who is so in love with Destiny USA that his girlfriend breaks up with him. While humorous, the story also includes factual information about the poor planning of Destiny USA, which is what first drew them to the subject.

5. Abbott Farms preps for apple season

Abbott Farms, an apple orchard that was once a large-scale wheat farm, is preparing for the fall season and the influx of visitors they expect. The Baldwinsville, New York, farm has been in the Abbott family since 1866 and is operated by over 50 employees. Visitors are able to pick apples, taste fresh apple cider and pet farm animals. Check out these photos of the farm and this video on how it makes its refreshing apple cider.