Week in Review

Week in News: Syverud says SU’s budget no longer in crisis, annual security report shows decrease in alcohol-related offenses and more

Chris Libonati | Asst. Copy Editor

There was an attempted strong arm robbery at South Campus Express in the Goldstein Student Center on Friday night, according to DPS. A 5-foot-6 man wearing a ski mask and gloves demanded an employee open the cash register.

Syverud: SU’s budget no longer in crisis

Chancellor Kent Syverud said the university managed to balance its $1.2 billion budget and added $4 million to its reserves in fiscal year 2015. He released this and information on employee buyouts and student enrollment during an approximately 25-minute address to the University Senate on Wednesday.

More: USEN address

01142014_N_SyverudDOM_ChaseGaewski_ME

Daily Orange file photo

Annual security report shows decrease in alcohol-related offenses

Syracuse University only had 918 liquor law violation referrals in 2014 — down about 30 percent from the 1,303 in 2013. The number of disciplinary referrals for drug law violations was also down from 2013 — 87 compared to 273, or 68 percent.

More: Annual security report

Crime Report graphics2

Emma Comtios | Design Editor

Armed robbery, attempted strong arm robbery reported

Three Syracuse University students reported being robbed at gunpoint at their home on the 200 block of Ostrom Avenue late Wednesday night, police said. Two men, who had handguns and knives according to the Department of Public Safety, pushed their way into the students’ apartment.

On Friday night, there was an attempted strong arm robbery at South Campus Express in the Goldstein Student Center, according to DPS. A 5-foot-6 man wearing a ski mask and gloves demanded an employee open the cash register.

More: Ostrom Avenue armed robbery | South Campus Express strong -campus armed robbery

DPS officers and Syracuse Police standing on Ostrom Avenue outside the victim's house.

Hannah Wagner | Staff Photographer

Former SU student sues university due to head injury

Gabriel Sansone, a former Syracuse University student, is suing the the university because of a head injury suffered with the Syracuse Boxing Club last fall. Tony Chao, a former Daily Orange art director and Thomas Smith, identified in the lawsuit as an instructor and the coach, respectively, are also defendants in the lawsuit.

More: Lawsuit

Student Association calls for changes to Syracuse ‘Kiss Cam’

Student Association President Aysha Seedat and Parliamentarian James Franco introduced a proposal to the assembly calling for the banning the use of the “Kiss Cam” in the student section and limiting the it to “those most likely in a relationship.”

More: Kiss Cam

ChaseGaewski-4

Daily Orange file photo