What to Watch For

What to Watch For: Football returns, No. 1 Field Hockey and 6 more teams in action

Logan Reidsma | Photo Editor / The Daily Orange

Estime celebrates his 40-yard, third-quarter touchdown catch. The score brought the Orange within seven points of LSU.

Men’s Soccer

Opponent: North Carolina
Where: Chapel Hill, North Carolina
When: Saturday, 7 p.m.

Hendrik Hilpert’s healthy. And he’s ready to step up the goalkeeper competition with fellow freshman Austin Aviza. Hours before playing Duke last Friday, coach Ian McIntyre told Hilpert he’d be getting the start. Aviza sat for the first time in nine games, despite Aviza averaging one goal allowed per game. Hilpert’s matched that through his first two games.

McIntyre said he’ll evaluate the goalkeeper situation “game-to-game,” but was adamant Hilpert needed experience. McIntyre tipped Hilpert as the likely starter for No. 22 SU (8-2-1, 2-1-1 Atlantic Coast) when it travels to Chapel Hill, North Carolina to play No. 2 UNC (9-0-1, 4-0) on Saturday.

More: Syracuse turns to Hendrik Hilpert in mid-season goalkeeper switch

Opponent: South Florida
Where: Tampa, Florida
When: Saturday, 3:30 p.m.

When Syracuse travels to Tampa, Florida off its bye week to play the University of South Florida, the team gets back Ervin Philips and Eric Dungey. Read the USF head coach’s preview of the game and why you should watch Ron Thompson on defense Saturday.

Beyond Saturday, do you think Syracuse will win enough games to be bowl eligible? Let us know.

More: All The Daily Orange’s coverage of Syracuse-South Florida

Field Hockey

Opponent: No. 11 Louisville and Indiana
Where: Louisville, Kentucky and Bloomington, Indiana
When: Friday, 6 p.m. and Sunday, noon

Liz Sack started at right back last season for all but two games. This season, she’s switched positions to forward and plays in a new role contributing off the bench for the Orange. Her contributions to the offensive depth was a part of SU’s 9-1 win last weekend that catapulted Syracuse (11-0, 3-0 Atlantic Coast) to No. 1. The Orange will play its first games as the top-ranked team when it visits No. 11 Louisville (7-4, 0-4 Atlantic Coast) and Indiana.

More: Liz Sack capitalizing on reserve role after switching back to forward

Women’s Soccer

Opponent: at No. 16 Notre Dame and at Pittsburgh
Where: South Bend, Indiana and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
When: Thursday, 7 p.m. and Sunday, 1 p.m.

Jessica Vigna thinks the women’s soccer team gets off to slow start in games. The numbers support that. In 13 matches, Syracuse (4-8-1, 0-4-0 Atlantic Coast) has only managed 60 shots in the first half, but that number bumps up to 81 in the second. This may help explain the difference in goals scored by half. The Orange has found the back of the net 10 times in the second half while just five times in the first. The team has a chance to start faster this weekend against Notre Dame.

More: Syracuse looks to get off to faster start against No. 16 Notre Dame

Volleyball

Opponent: Pittsburgh and Virginia Tech
Where: Women’s Building
When: Friday, 7 p.m. and Sunday, 1 p.m.

Ice Hockey

Opponent: at Northeastern and at New Hampshire
Where: Boston, Massachusetts and Durham, New Hampshire
When: Friday, 2 p.m. and Saturday, 2 p.m.

Tennis

Opponent: vs. Riviera/ITA Women’s All-American
Where: Los Angeles, California
When: Oct. 3 to Oct. 11

Men’s Rowing

Opponent: at Navy Day Regatta
Where: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
When: Saturday