Scott Shafer: Rob Trudo will start at right guard again against USF

Daily Orange file photo

Rob Trudo started at right guard against LSU. He will do so again against USF after coming into the season as the team's center.

Syracuse (3-1, 1-0 Atlantic Coast) will start the same offensive line it rolled onto the field against Louisiana State this week against South Florida (1-3, 0-1 American Athletic), SU head coach Scott Shafer said during his weekly teleconference on Tuesday.

After starting senior Seamus Shanley at right guard for the first three games, junior Jason Emerich took over at center and senior Rob Trudo played right guard for the Orange against LSU, pushing Shanley out of the lineup.

“That’s how we’ll start it out and we’ll see how those guys are playing,” Shafer said. “I think it was a good combination and those guys are playing well together. I think that we have some other guys that could rotate in at times.”

Trudo suffered a lower-body injury during SU’s game against Wake Forest and missed the Central Michigan game. Shafer said that the five starting linemen are the five best in the eyes of his staff.

Shafer complimented Shanley and right guard Aaron Roberts, but said Emerich has improved his consistency with his technique and blocking.

“That gave us the luxury of saying, ‘Hey, let’s let Rob play the guard a little bit. He’s played that a bunch in the past, see how this combination goes in practice,’” Shafer said. “Felt like it went well, so we stuck with it.”