SU student selected to serve on national It’s On Us committee

Anna Leach / Contributing Photographer

Samantha Skaller, a junior at SU, was chosen to be on the national It's On Us committee. It's On Us is a national campaign started by the Obama Administration that works to mobilize students to prevent sexual assault on college campuses.

A Syracuse University student and survivor of sexual assault was selected as one of the 17 members of the new national It’s On Us Student Advisory Committee.

Samantha Skaller, a junior viola performance and music history and cultures dual major at SU, was selected to be a member of the committee. The It’s On Us initiative was launched by President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden in partnership with the Center for American Progress’ Generation Progress. Its mission is to prevent sexual assault on college campuses and encourage members of the campus community to sign a pledge to not be bystanders.

It’s On Us launched its first Student Advisory Committee this year as a way for exemplary student leaders to be able to play a larger role in introducing the message of the campaign onto college campuses and the surrounding communities nationwide, according to a press release.

As a survivor of sexual assault, Skaller felt that through her recovery, she would like to advocate for other survivors and be able to empower them.

“Being able to talk to survivors and understand what they’ve gone through fuels a huge passion for this subject and a huge passion for wanting to see change,” she said.

While looking at resources, Skaller found the application online. She applied to the committee on a whim without knowing exactly what it was.

“Samantha really stood out as someone who could be a very strong leader for the campaign and really help organize on the grass roots level,” said Kristin Avery, campaign manager of It’s On Us.

Avery said she wants to create a new narrative around the issue in which everyone is involved. She added that sexual assault on college campuses is an issue that recently came into the national spotlight but has been of great concern for many years.

The application process for the It’s On Us committee took more than a month. Applicants had to submit a couple writing samples about why they wanted to take part in the committee, what credentials they had and their ties with the campus community. After the online application, there were two phone interviews and the candidates had to be vetted.

“It was a long process, but I’m really glad I did it,” Skaller said.

Skaller said she is focused on giving presentations for organizations in which she discusses the It’s On Us campaign and her role on the campus as a student ambassador. She is also heavily targeting social media to spread awareness about the campaign, to inform the public on how to get involved and to create a conversation about the definition of consent.

Her social media impact is being tracked through the hashtag she created — #itsonussu.

“I don’t want anybody else to have to go through what I’ve had to go through,” Skaller said. “I really want to see a change, I want to be able to feel safe in my own community and I want everyone else to be able to feel safe in their own community.”

Skaller has been working with the Office of Health Promotions at SU to help plan events for the National Week of Action, which will take place Nov. 8-Nov. 14. The week is organized by the It’s On Us campaign to mobilize students to take action in preventing sexual assault.

Katelyn Cowen, the director of the Office of Health Promotions, said she is excited about the partnership with Skaller. Although the university has programs in place for incoming first-year students to get educated on sexual assault, Cowen said she is aware that more still needs to be done.

“We’re still learning ourselves,” Cowen said. “It’s a great opportunity to have national connections and conversations which we’re really excited about.”