Countdown to Orange Madness: The Syracuse basketball freshmen

Sam Maller | Staff Photographer

Jim Boeheim has three new freshmen in the form of Tyler Lydon, Malachi Richardson and Franklin Howard to utilize this season for Syracuse.

Syracuse has its unofficial start to the 2015-2016 season when the Orange takes on the Blue for Orange Madness on Friday in the Carrier Dome. The annual intrasquad scrimmage will give Syracuse fans their first look at new freshmen Tyler Lydon, Malachi Richardson and Franklin Howard, along with a new-look starting lineup without departed senior Rakeem Christmas. Each day leading up to Friday, D.O. beat writers Sam Blum, Jesse Dougherty and Matt Schneidman will give you the top five storylines headed into Jim Boehiem’s 40th season as the Orange head coach.

The new guys in town

Tyler Lydon: The 6-foot-8, 205-pound freshman with a silky smooth jumper likely won’t be a starter, but might see a more significant role for an SU team that lacks significant depth in the frontcourt. During the first week of practice, he’s shown ability to score against Tyler Roberson, and was able to get Trevor Cooney open with his strong on-ball screens. Before practice, he’s been working with assistant coach Adrian Autry on his jump shot. Lydon, along with DaJuan Coleman, Chinonso Obokoh, and Tyler Roberson make up the only scholarship players expected to see significant time in the frontcourt.

Malachi Richardson: The 6-foot-6, 195-pound guard has been running with the Syracuse starters early in practice and has a shot to do the same when the Orange faces Lehigh to start the season on Nov. 13. The New Jersey native was a five-start commit and fits the Orange blueprint for lanky guards with the ability to shoot from the outside.

Frank Howard: The 6-foot-4, 170-pound freshman point guard might have a tough time cracking the Orange rotation this season. With Michael Gbinije likely starting and Kaleb Joseph backing him at the position, Howard likely won’t be as prominent. The freshman has struggled on both ends of the court in practice, but has showed some potential on his long-range shooting ability.