Boos and Bravos

Boos and Bravos: Sold-out tickets, MacArthur Fellow

Brian Cereijo | The Daily Orange

Forward Emily Costales takes control of the puck in the Tennity Ice Pavilion last season. The facility is not suitable for the Division 1 team.

A Syracuse University alumna was honored with a MacArthur Foundation “genius grant” this week, while Tennity Ice Rink fell flat for the SU women’s hockey team. Get details about these stories and more in this week’s “Boos and Bravos.”

Bravos

CHICAGO, ILLINOIS, SEPTEMBER 12, 2015 : LaToya Ruby Frazier photographed in Chicago (John D. & Catherine MacArthur Foundation)

Courtesy of John D. & Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation

MacArthur honoree

LaToya Ruby Frazier, an SU alumna, received a MacArthur Foundation “genius grant” for her work in photography and video. Frazier received a master’s of fine arts from SU in 2007 and is the youngest honoree this year. She will receive a $625,000 grant over the next five years so that she can continue her work. The grant is meant to help the recipients continue to grow in their fields and is an investment in their future, according the the MacArthur Foundation website. Frazier is known for her work documenting blue collar African Americans in her hometown of Braddock, Pennsylvania, according to a press release.

Emmet Simpson, owner of Shamballa Cafe in Baldwinsville, holds up a latte he has just prepared. Photo by Georgie Silvarole.

Georgie Silvarole | Staff Writer

National Coffee Day

Pulp got a behind-the-scenes look at local coffee roasters this Tuesday for National Coffee Day. Although coffee is part of college life everyday, these roasters have made it an art way beyond your average K-cup. Shamballa Café, Simple Roast and Recess Coffee all shared their methods to crafting the perfect bean, including where they source from and what temperatures they roast at. Pulp also compared the prices of major coffee shops on-and-off campus, so those looking to save some change should check out the story here.

usa lax

Logan Reidsma | Photo Editor

United States wins bronze

The U.S. team took home 3rd place this weekend during the World Indoor Lacrosse Championships in the Carrier Dome. The team started off strong in the beginning and then pulled away towards the end, defeating Israel 15-4. This was the 4th WILC tournament, and the U.S. has won bronze every time. The Iroquois Nationals and Canadians went head-to-head once again for the final, with Canada claiming the title.

Boos

Outdated New York state IDs

Starting next year, New Yorkers may need a passport to fly domestically. New York is one of only four states that haven’t complied with the federal Real ID Act, which requires state IDs to meet certain standards. Should the law take effect in 2016, there will be a three-month period in which those with the incorrect identification will be warned before flying. TSA will also accept enhanced driver’s licenses.

XAmbassadors

Courtesy of University Union

X Ambassadors tickets sold out

The first Bandersnatch concert of the year will include headliner X Ambassadors and supporting act Tribe Society, University Union announced Monday night. X Ambassadors made noise this year with their hit “Renegades,” which held the No. 1 spot on the Alternative music charts for 11 weeks in a row. Unfortunately, tickets to the show sold out Wednesday afternoon, a little over 24 hours after they went on sale. For those lucky enough to get tickets, the Tribe Society will hit the stage at 8 p.m.

100115_S_TennityIceRink_MoriahRatner_APE

Moriah Ratner | Asst. Photo Editor

Tennity Ice Pavilion

The rink, which is home to the SU women’s hockey team, is under scrutiny again for being unfit for the Division 1 team. The facility is operated by the Department of Recreation Services, rather than SU Athletics. As a result, the team has had a difficult time making changes to the building that would bolster recruitment and spectator experience. Coach Paul Flanagan said sharing rink time with clubs and free skate interferes with the development of the team and its small size underwhelms recruits.