Meet Monday

Sophomore creates Phoenix Suns podcast, Suns Talk Radio

Gabriella Jones | Staff photographer

On his podcast Suns Talk Radio, Zach Parnes has featured notable guests like ESPN business reporter Darren Rovell.

Not many people from Pittsburgh are Phoenix Suns fans. But when sophomores Zach Parnes and Nick Hennion met at an NBA preseason game at the Carrier Dome, they realized they had exactly that in common.

“It’s pretty uncharacteristic for two kids from a rustbelt town to have the southwestern roots of sports,” Parnes said.

Parnes, a broadcast and digital journalism major, created his podcast, Suns Talk Radio, in 2011 after he got too old to continue reporting for Sports Illustrated Kids. Hennion, an information management technology major, later joined the team as co-director.

Check Out Sports Podcasts at Blog Talk Radio with Phoenix Suns Radio on BlogTalkRadio

Now, Parnes is going on his fourth year of Suns Talk Radio. He has a weekly show every Monday during the season at 11 p.m., with hopes of expanding his production team and running the show twice a week in the future.

With Hennion’s help, Suns Talk Radio now has over 1800 followers on Twitter and listeners from all over the U.S., as well as a few international listeners.

Suns Talk Radio often features well-known guests on the podcasts and a caller feed for people to call in and voice their opinions. Hennion helped to bring ESPN business reporter Darren Rovell onto the podcast. Other guests featured were sportscaster Sean McDonough, and television producer and SU professor Dennis Deninger.

Parnes hopes to one day reach an official partnership with the team for his podcast and hopes to bring players on to talk after games. Parnes’ dream job is to be a play-by-play announcer for the NBA.

“It’s been amazing just to see where the whole process has come,” Parnes said. “It’s unbelievable to know that I had gotten there on my own accord.”