5 keys for Syracuse against Rhode Island

Quarterback Terrel Hunt enters the 2015 season as one of the most important players for Syracuse. His performance on Friday vs. Rhode Island is a key to the game.

With Syracuse’s season opener against Rhode Island just hours away from kickoff, it’s time to look at five keys to the game.

For the rest of The Daily Orange’s coverage of Syracuse-Rhode Island, click here.

5. Picking on Paul

Rhode Island starting quarterback Paul Mroz is set to make his Division-I debut after transferring from Victor Valley (California) College. Despite his pedigree originally coming from Brockton, Massachusetts, Syracuse should be able to feast on defense. While Mroz leads URI for the first time, the Rams’ offensive line returns four starters. Syracuse’s defensive line includes four first- or second-year players on the two-deep depth chart, potentially neutralizing the mismatch of a Power Five school vs. an FCS one. Thus, whether SU can make Mroz uncomfortable or not is a key aspect to watch.

4. Something special

The Rams are coming off a 1-11 season in which they allowed about 230 yards rushing per game. There’s a significant disparity in talent between Syracuse and Rhode Island, so one of the only ways URI can make it interesting is dominating special teams. In last year’s season opener, Villanova’s Poppy Livers returned a punt for a touchdown in the third quarter, which cut SU’s lead from 10 to three. Though Syracuse won, it was special teams that kept VU in a game against a much talented team. If the Rams could do something similar, they might actually be able to compete.

3. Playmakers

Steve Ishmael led all Orange receivers last year with three touchdowns. He was a true freshman then and no one else on the team had more than one. SU’s running backs combined for a total of two rushing touchdowns all of last season as Syracuse’s playmakers weren’t putting the ball in the endzone. High hopes surround Ishmael and his roommate, sophomore hybrid Ervin Philips, but for expectations to become reality, they need to score points and there’s no better opponent to do it against than one that allowed 34.1 points per game last year.

2. Staying Healthy

The worst possible thing that could happen to Syracuse would be if one of its players sustained a significant injury. In what is presumed to be a blowout, the Orange must get out to an early lead so starters can rest and nicked up players like Ron Thompson aren’t needed. At the start of training camp, head coach Scott Shafer said last year was “one hell of a freakish year of injuries.” This year, Shafer gave starters less reps in practice during training camp to help with conditioning. Syracuse’s best chance to rack up wins is in September so players would be better off if they can be saved for bigger games like next week vs. Wake Forest.

1. Terrel Hunt

Terrel Hunt’s legacy has yet to be defined. Seventeen games played at quarterback, 12 interceptions and 11 touchdowns. He enters 2015 with a new outlook and Friday night is his first chance back on the field since fracturing the fibula in his right leg. In last year’s season opener, Hunt was ejected for punching a Villanova defender. After spending time watching his teammates play while he rehabbed, he says he’s more mature and Friday will be the first opportunity in a real game fans get to see him since the injury.