Editorial Board

Campus-wide smoking ban lacks proper enforcement

Under current policy, the Syracuse University smoking ban lacks the teeth to be effective. The university should not call its decision to become tobacco-free a “ban” if there are not consequences in place for those who choose to smoke despite university guidelines.

The smoking ban is not currently enforced by any disciplinary means, but tobacco users on campus may be approached by an SU community member, be it a student, staff or faculty, and asked to stop smoking or using tobacco in any other manner, said Hannah Warren, DPS’s public information and internal communications officer.

SU administrators are hopeful that community enforcement will lead to a change in culture on campus, and university-sponsored programs are in place to help tobacco users quit. However, a full attitude shift will not be possible unless the university demonstrates that there are repercussions for acting out of accordance of the policy.

There are several ways of effectively addressing smoking offenses on SU property. The university could implement small monetary fines, similar to those placed upon students for late library books, parking fees and other fines charged by the university.

The university could also contract DPS officers to take over enforcement of the ban by writing up students for smoking despite the policy. Once students have been written up multiple times, proper enforcement could require them to attend one of university-sponsored tobacco cessation programs.

This consequence would function in the same way that behavioral policies are enforced in on-campus housing, and students who repeatedly refuse to comply with the policy would be faced with a hearing with the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities.

These consequences must be instated sooner rather than later, as the more time the university takes to enforce the tobacco-free policy, the more students will become complacent with current conditions of the ban.

Enforcement of the smoking ban on university grounds is essential to generate a lasting, campus-wide cultural change at Syracuse University. If the university is going to ban smoking, the offense must be punishable with strict measures. The way that the policy currently stands, it is more of a gentle suggestion than an initiative that the university is taking seriously.

If the Syracuse University administration wants to have the publicity of implementing a smoking ban, it must do its part in enforcing it.