Boos and Bravos

Boos and Bravos: Terrel Hunt, Nick Jonas

David Salanitri | Staff Photographer

The SU marching band files onto the field for game day.

Syracuse University went through yet another tumultuous week as campus settles into the fall semester. From an injured quarterback to a Miss America contestant, see how it all went down in this week’s highs and lows of Daily Orange news. Click the orange text to see the full story.

Bravos

Jonas

Chase Guttman | Asst. Photo Editor

Nick Jonas

The celebrity made his way to Funk ‘n Waffles University Hill this past Monday before his performance at the New York State Fair, much to the delight of the ladies on campus. Although it quickly became chaotic inside the small eatery and Jonas declined any pictures, it was still a pretty big deal. Two lucky souls grabbed his fork and knife, which will make for a pretty great fun fact during future icebreakers.

0901015_P_AllieCurtis_Courtesy

Courtesy of Allie Curtis

Miss America

SU alumna Allie Curtis will compete to become America’s pageant queen this weekend against 51 other women from across the country. Curtis was SA president during her time at Syracuse and now runs on a “Leading Ladies” platform, which advocates for females in leadership roles.  Vanessa Williams, another SU alumna, will be one of the judges, so be sure to tune into ABC at 9 p.m. to catch the competition’s finale.

Logan Reidsma | Photo Editor

Logan Reidsma | Photo Editor

Home games

Every Syracuse home team came out on top of their matches this past weekend, a truly awesome feat. Volleyball also won on the road in Georgia, although women’s soccer lost a tight game against University at Buffalo. The Orange face another round of competitors this weekend, so click the link above to see a complete schedule.

Boos

WEB10182012_N_RemembranceWall_ChaseGaewski

Syracuse University drops in rankings

SU fell to No. 61 in the U.S. News and World Report National University rankings this year. Although this isn’t that far from last year’s No. 58, any negative direction is disappointing. Syracuse is tied with four other schools for the spot: Clemson University, Purdue University – West Lafayette, Southern Methodist University and the University of Georgia. Weigh in on whether or not you think the drop is significant here.

Senioritis

Humor columnist Danny Cuneo gave a harsh reminder this week of the senioritis pandemic that is beginning to plague the Class of 2016. If you haven’t caught it yet, consider yourself lucky and try to boost that GPA before it sets in. In all seriousness, Cuneo made senior year real, so all of you spending your last year in ‘Cuse, live it up. 

090415_S_FBvsURIhuntinjury_DavidSalanitri_SP

David Salanitri | Staff Photographer

Terrel Hunt

SU’s football team will be down a vital player this week as the team faces Wake Forest. Terrel Hunt, SU’s starting QB, went down last Friday with a torn Achilles, which he has since had surgery on. Although the process has already begun to let Hunt play for a sixth year, freshman Eric Dungey will take his place at the head of the Orange’s offense. Get the low-down on the new guy here.