Beat writers predict blowout win for Syracuse in season-opener

Logan Reidsma | Photo Editor

Scott Shafer leads Syracuse into its season-opener at 7 p.m. against Rhode Island. Our beat writers forecast a blowout SU win.

Before Syracuse kicks off its season against Rhode Island at 7 p.m., our beat writers predict the score of the Orange’s season debut. All four see a blowout SU win in the cards and for Scott Shafer to cruise to a 1-0 start in 2015.

Sam Blum
Syracuse 54, Rhode Island 0
Open Rhode

Last year it took Syracuse two overtimes to defeat Villanova, 27-26. And while the Wildcats might be in Rhode Island’s conference, they aren’t in the same league. The Orange will make quick and easy work of the Rams, with the only drama late in the game surrounding whether or not SU’s second-team defense can preserve the shutout.

Jesse Dougherty
Syracuse 35, Rhode Island 14
Grab life by the horns

It will look more like a landslide than the scoreboard may indicate. The first week of the season always calls for a fluke or two, but Syracuse doesn’t completely fall victim this time.

Matt Schneidman
Syracuse 42, Rhode Island 7
Dodging the ram

Rhode Island is not Villanova. This game won’t be like last year’s season-opener against an FCS opponent since the Rams are one of the worst in the country. Syracuse finds a way to get in the end zone six times and the Orange exhales in the fourth quarter.

Paul Schwedelson
Syracuse 38, Rhode Island 7
Rhode Trip

The ride back to Kingston, Rhode Island will be a long one as Syracuse will get out to an early lead and subsequently milk the clock and empty the bench. The only way the Rams compete is if … Well, that just won’t happen for the team coming off a 1-11 season.