Recruiting

Syracuse football recruiting: 3-star athlete Moe Neal commits to Class of 2016

Three-star athlete Moe Neal verbally committed to Syracuse, he announced on Saturday afternoon, becoming the 15th member of the Orange’s 2016 recruiting class.

The 5-foot-11, 160-pound Forestview (North Carolina) High School product is ranked as the 38th-best athlete in the class by 247Sports.com’s composite rankings. He chose SU over offers from Wake Forest, Mississippi State, Boston College and Duke, the other four schools in his top five, as well as 10 other schools, per 247Sports. According to multiple media reports, Syracuse and Wake Forest were his final two schools.

Class of 2016 four-star running back Robert Washington was told by Syracuse coaches that he would be the only running back in the class. Forestview head coach Chris Medlin said Neal would be “a great fit” for offensive coordinator Tim Lester’s hybrid position. Luella (Georgia) High School’s Darius Stubbs, another 2015 commit, was also recruited to play hybrid.

Over the past two seasons, Neal starred both as a running back and slot receiver amassing a total of 3,049 rushing yards on 434 carries and 1,331 receiving yards on 105 receptions, combining for 64 touchdowns.

The Orange’s roster currently includes three hybrids — sophomore Ervin Philips, junior Ben Lewis and freshman Tyrone Perkins. Senior Ashton Broyld was also listed as a hybrid before he was dismissed from the team on Tuesday.