Field Hockey

Syracuse completes California sweep with 4-1 win at Pacific

The No. 4 Orange (3-0) finished its California road trip with a 4-1 win over Pacific (1-1) to sweep all three teams it played.

For the third game in a row, Syracuse struck first and pulled ahead early. Alma Fenne notched her first career goal off of a penalty corner 19 minutes into play. Emma Lamison followed Fenne with a goal of her own just 50 seconds later. Following a Pacific turnover, Lamison moved the ball past two defenders into the circle, shot and scored to make it 2-0.

The Orange and Lamison scored once more in the first half after the junior forward found the back of the net from the left side to give her team a 3-0 lead heading to halftime.

GFX

Syracuse controlled play in its first two games and Monday was no different. The Orange outshot No. 6 Stanford, UC Davis and Pacific by a combined 28 shots. On Monday, SU dominated those scoring attempts in the first half, 10-6, but Pacific finished with the same number of shots, 13, for the game. Syracuse held a 6-3 advantage in penalty-corner attempts.

Syracuse rounded out its scoring with an Alyssa Manley goal after she assisted on two scores in the first half.

What would have been back-to-back shutouts for SU were spoiled by a goal from Pacific’s Leah Cofer when she redirected an Ali Campos shot past goalkeeper Jess Jecko. The goal came with under five minutes remaining in a game that wasn’t in doubt.

Syracuse opens its home season on Sunday at 1 p.m. against Massachusetts at J.S. Coyne Stadium.