Arts

Q&A: SU alumna talks job at Smithsonian National Portrait Gallery

Courtesy of the Smithsonian National Portrait Gallery

SU alum Kate Lemay was hired as an art historian for the Smithsonian National Portrait Gallery.

Syracuse University alumna Kate Lemay said she landed her dream job this summer, as she began writing and researching artwork for the Smithsonian National Portrait Gallery in Washington, D.C.. Considered to be the premier hub of American biographies, the National Portrait Gallery features portraits of Americans from a multitude of time periods and from all walks of life.

Lemay, who graduated in 2001 with degrees in art history and French, evaluates art pieces and decides if the work holds historical significance and should be placed in the gallery. Lemay took some time away from her research to reflect on her time at SU, talk about her new position and tell The Daily Orange about her favorite pieces in the gallery.

The Daily Orange: How do you think art helps tell the story of American history?

Kate Lemay: Art is kind of a window. It sort of creates a bridge between the here and now moments. A moment may not be as approachable, but if you put a face on a person that you can relate to, that relationship and that rapport that the viewer develops with the object helps to transport their time and create a kind of understanding. I never could deal with facts and figures and dates and dry reading, I always needed that kind of transportation that art offers. So, for me at least, it really works.

D.O.: How do you think SU influenced your career path?

K.L.: I think Syracuse — that was a time that I was 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 — I can’t remember how old I was now, I think 19-22 but that’s a time during which if you don’t know what to do with the rest of your life, that is perfectly OK. And, in fact, you’re exactly where you should be because that’s a time when you should explore all of these different options, and Syracuse really offered a lot of different venues for me to try things out. I was in Newhouse first semester and I was studying television, radio and film, and then I was like “what the hell am I doing here? This is crazy.” I was a really good writer, but it just wasn’t for me. So, I went back to Arts and Sciences, and I was surrounded by people in the Visual and Performing Arts College. I was really interested in the type of hands-on work that they were doing, and they got me roped into going to figure studying drawing classes that were open to all students. I was able to take dance classes, played club field hockey and tried out for the varsity team, I just did all sorts of things.

D.O.: Do you have a particular piece or article in the gallery that is your favorite?

K.L.: I’m a little particular to the portrait of Benjamin Franklin. I actually blogged about it, we have a blog on our website called “face to face.” It’s by this artist named Joseph Siffred Duplessis and it’s a really nice portrait of Ben Franklin, who was not only an important American, but my father actually wrote about Ben Franklin; my dad was a Franklin Scholar. My dad died in 2008, so of course that’s sort of missing him, but when I see this Franklin portrait I’m like “Hey, what’s up dad?”  It’s this weird indirect connection I have with my father, who was like a mentor. I get really interested in stuff that I can find a personal value and meaning in, somehow.

D.O.: How has it been and what have you experienced since late June working at the National Portrait Gallery?

K.L.: It’s been great; I have no complaints. I’ve been doing things that I love, which is research and writing. I’m fortunate because my colleagues are really nice and they’re funny. The institution is a healthy and vibrant place. This is the dream job. I’ve been around enough to know that this is a really good job. When you’ve gotten experience and you’ve gone through a career, even though I am still in the beginning of my career I have some experience, and I’m just really happy.