Sex and Health

Archambault: Students should understand all contraception options

The first time I went to the OB/GYN I was 17 and naive. I was abruptly awakened to the process when a lady in her late forties asked me to spread my legs and promptly shoved her fingers inside of me all the while maintaining a conversation about her son’s college process. As she sat back and removed her gloves, she cocked her head to one side and asked, “So what type of contraception would you like?” What type? Here I was thinking I would just saunter in and ask for the pill, but after being felt up, fingered and swabbed, I was being asked to choose when I was unaware I had different options. The baffled look on my face must have been evident as she continued on how I could choose between vaginal rings, diaphragms, IUDs (intrauterine devices), patches, shots,
implants, the pill…

Still overwhelmed by the entire situation, I jumped at the familiar word “pill” and hastily mumbled I would take that. Feeling that the visit had gone on for entirely too long, I motioned to get up but not before she lightly tapped my arm and said, “Even with the pill, promise me you will always use condoms.” I agreed, more to get out of the office than to protect myself from STDs and pregnancy.

When I got home, I sat myself down and dedicated a good 90 minutes to Google, trying to decipher all of the contraception options I had just been enlightened to. I learned that the diaphragm is a flexible cup which your doctor can mold to your vagina and blocks any sperm from entering. I learned that the patch and the ring work much like the pill as they contain estrogen, but they save you the hassle of remembering to take something every day. I learned the shot works to block ovulation and helps to produce an increased amount of cervical mucus that helps to curb sperm travel. I learned that an IUD is a “T” shaped device that does indeed work for years at a time. And I learned that just like my OB/GYN had warned, regardless of your contraception, you should still always wrap it before you tap it.

Two years later, my OB/GYN checkups have become significantly less stressful. I am still opting to take the pill, as it’s easy to obtain in college. For anyone who is not on contraception in college — while I cannot force my opinions on you — you absolutely should be. You can go to either Syracuse University Health Services or the local Planned Parenthood, conveniently located at 1120 E. Genesee St., to discuss your options.

I also now consider myself a condom enthusiast. Even if you’re confident in your personal form of contraception, you should never put your full trust into any one method, not to mention STDs are very real and very unfortunate on campus and elsewhere.

According to the SU Health Services website, one in two people will experience some sort of STD in their life. While condoms are fairly cheap — a box of 36 Trojans will only put you out about 17 bucks — SU Health Services has a table next to their pharmacy that is stocked with free condoms, lubricants and even dental dams. They also tell RAs and members of certain organizations such as fraternities and sororities that they are able to go to the front desk and ask for a bag of condoms to take back to their hall or house to share.

Personally, I think it’s less awkward to just always have a condom. If you just grab one from your RA or from Health Services or even just buy your own, then that intimate moment can’t be ruined by the awkward realization that neither of you are prepared. So ladies, choose your contraception and fellas, have those rubbers at the ready because you know, better safe than sorry.

Alex Archambault is a sophomore newspaper and online journalism major. You can email her at ararcham@syr.edu or follow her @Alex_And_Raa on Twitter.