5 freshman FAQs, from safety to the outdoors, answered

Logan Reidsma | Photo Editor

The Pulp Staff ventured to answer questions posted on social media from parents and incoming students. Topics range from hiking to safety.

Whether you are a freshman who is curious, confused or clueless about Syracuse University and college life, have no fear because Pulp has rounded up some of your most frequently asked questions and answered them once and for all. From extracurricular activities, to SU trivia, to the weather, look no further to get in the know.

“How safe is the campus at Syracuse University?”

According to Neighborhood Scout — a website that grades neighborhoods on their safety — the city of Syracuse has a crime index of six with 100 being the safest, meaning that Syracuse is safer than six percent of cities in the U.S. However, the crime rates on campus differ from the city’s total. Check out this interactive crime map by The Daily Orange to see where the most crime happened on campus from 2010 to 2014. The map compiles an array of data from Department of Public Safety police logs, from the location to the year to the type of crime committed. You can also view SU’s annual security report here for more details. DPS recommends putting their 24/7 phone line, (315) 443-2224, as a contact in your phone.

Said Hannah Warren, DPS public information and internal communications officer: “I can’t really speak to exactly how it compares to other colleges nationally. We are on a downward trajectory as far as crime in the area is concerned. All in all we are very safe, we are kind of in our own little bubble on the Hill in comparison to other areas around us. Freshmen should also check out our safety advice. We recommend walking in groups of three or more after dark. We recommend that students don’t walk with tunnel vision, which is when students walk with their phones and headphones. Generally, it’s a really good idea to keep your stuff with you or lock it.”

“Does anyone know how and when we can sign up for intramurals?”

Syracuse University Recreation Services is rolling out a new way to sign up for intramurals this year, said Nadine Essel, assistant director for intramurals. Students can now register online with their teams via iamleagues.com. The new service also features a phone app where students can check schedules, be sent game reminders and register for different sports offered throughout the academic year. Students must sign up as a team — individual signups are not allowed. The first sport that students can register for is softball on September 6. Signups for additional sports will be released via http://recreationservices.syr.edu/programs/intramurals.html and iamleagues.com.

“You don’t have to be good to participate, anyone that enjoys sports can get involved. You don’t have to put a lot of time into it, intramurals is a minimal time commitment. So students that are super busy and don’t have time for intercollegiate or even sport clubs that have two or three practices a week and travel and all that kind of stuff. This is just one or two games a week with your friends, and you can have a good time. It’s a good physical release but it’s also a good social thing to do,” said Nadine Essel, assistant director for intramurals.

“Anybody know of any good hiking trails?”

Just 20 miles from SU and a 35-minute drive away is Chittenango Falls State Park in Cazenovia. Here hiking, fishing and nature trails are all available. Also, be sure to check out SU’s Recreation Services, which offers outdoor adventure trips throughout the school year. They have outdoor and indoor challenge courses that make for a demanding but fun activity close to campus. The Syracuse University Outing Club also hosts trips and transportation to close by natural areas.

“When does it become winter jacket weather in Syracuse?”

Don’t take it from us, take it from a former citrus TV weatherman, Syracuse usually has nice weather until the end of first semester.

“In a typical year you would see the first snowfall in November, you will see a few smaller snow showers, but it usually isn’t until December when that snow sticks on the ground, and there’s more consistent snowfall. For me, I like wearing my winter jacket in November, I like to wear my winter jacket before there is snow on the ground. I wouldn’t wait until Thanksgiving break to get it. Don’t be afraid to wear two coats, that’s never a bad idea. Last year, I would wear a thinner winter coat and then a larger winter coat over it, and when I would get somewhere I would take off two coats, and people would laugh, but I was really warm. Definitely purchase a pair of snow boots for your walk to class — that is hugely important,” said Joshua Bazan, senior broadcast and digital journalism major, former Citrus TV news weatherman during the 2014-2015 academic year.

“I am curious about the Greek community. What percentage of freshmen rush? What percentage of students are in Greek life? Can an independent have a good time still?”

According to the U.S. News & World Report, about 20 percent of students at SU are involved in Greek life. There aren’t available statistics of the percentage of freshmen who rush. With a lively nightlife scene and hundreds of student organizations on campus, there are plenty of opportunities for both non-Greeks and Greeks alike to have a good time at any hour.