WATCH: Syracuse University professor crafts tree with 40 kinds of fruit

Sam Van Aken, a Syracuse University sculpture professor at the College of Visual and Performing Arts, has melded science and art in his ongoing venture “Tree of 40 Fruit.” National Geographic’s website published a video about Van Aken’s creation on Monday.

Van Aken , who has received a considerable amount of media coverage in the last few days, began creating these incredible fruit trees in 2008 when he learned the New York State Agricultural Experiment Station was going to tear out its stone fruit orchard. In order to preserve some ancient strains of plums, apricots and nectarines, he decided to combine an entire orchard into one tree.

The first tree was planted in 2011, but Van Aken expects another three to four years before it reaches a peak blossom.

“Unlike any other artworks that I’ve made, these things continuously evolve,” Van Aken said in the video. “I think one of the reasons I’ve been able to keep it going for so long is that every year it’s something new. When you come out here and the trees are all in blossom, it’s really an amazing experience. Plus, you get fruit all summer.”

These hybrid plants are located in public and private spaces throughout the country and SU is fortunate to have one located on the quad between H.B. Crouse and Hinds halls.