The pros and cons of every freshman dorm

/ The Daily Orange

Where you live matters; know what you are getting in for.

Dorm life is simultaneously one of the greatest excitements and greatest stressors of anyone’s college experience. Living with classmates, sharing restrooms and being away from mom’s cooking are all new things for the average freshman. Where you live on campus will help to shape your overall feeling toward Syracuse University. Freshmen and first-year transfer students received their residence hall assignments Wednesday, so the Pulp Staff compiled a list of pros and cons about living in each of the buildings where freshmen are typically assigned.

Brewster, Boland & Brockway Halls (BBB)

brewster_boland_brock

Courtesy of the Office of Residence Life

Pros: Brockway underground is one of SU’s hidden gems. It boasts a snack bar that sells better food than most dining halls, and a gym. That extra food option and being only an elevator ride away from a workout goes a long way during freshman year.

Cons: BBB is on the edge of campus. To get to class, you’ll have the option of either at least a 10-minute uphill walk or climbing the dreaded “Law” steps. If you’re the type to skip leg day at the gym, don’t worry. Every day at BBB is leg day.

The Mount: the location of both Flint and Day Halls.

Pros: If you haven’t heard 472 times at every family BBQ this summer, it snows a lot in Syracuse. That’s why the underground tunnel connecting the dorms to Graham Dining Center is an absolute blessing from whatever architect designed it. The tunnel also has a small convenience store and “The Junction,” where you can buy snacks that include fiery chicken fingers, pizza and milkshakes after the dining halls close.

Cons: It’s called The Mount for a reason. Climbing the nearly 200 stairs going up and down from the Quad will have you questioning your recent college decision.

Day Hall

day

Pros: Because Day is secluded up on the Mount, it becomes a little family of freshmen in its own right, especially during the winter when no one wants to climb down the stairs in the cold. Also because the floors each have around 80 people on them, many people living in Day meet a great group of friends on their floor.

Cons: The bathrooms in Day Hall are reminiscent of those scary gym ones you see in every movie about high school ever. The large restrooms are old, and are pretty terrifying. You get your own shower stall, but the entire bathroom facility is communal. They are, however, separated by gender.

Flint Hall

flint

Pros: The bathrooms have been redone in recent years, and are basically palaces compared to other dorm restroom options. They boast individual stalls complete with a comfortable-sized shower, mirror and porcelain throne.

Cons: Despite the stairs, life in Flint is pretty average. The view of campus isn’t great, and its adjoining dining hall is nothing to write home to mom about. All in all, the dorm’s facilities aren’t superb. Bland and average best describe Flint and its dorm life.

Lawrinson Hall

lawrinson

Pros: The top floor of this tower is breathtaking at sunset. You can see pretty much all of Syracuse and you will definitely make your high school friends jealous if you post a pic from up there on Instagram. Also, the facilities are newer and nicer than almost all the other residence halls your freshmen friends will be living in.

Cons: It is basically located off-campus. The towering hall is pretty far from all other SU students, and where your classes will be. Those 8 a.m. classes just got a little more daunting. Also, if you end up on the 11th floor be prepared to run down a LOT of stairs when the fire alarm inevitably blares at 3 a.m.

Sadler Hall

sadler

Pros: Sadler is a solid place to live. The dorm offers both open and split doubles, the dining hall is one of the nicest and the dorm just feels new since it was recently renovated. It’s also right next to the Carrier Dome making it a quick walk to football, basketball and lacrosse games.
Cons: The location leaves much to be desired. Located next to Lawrinson behind the Carrier Dome on the corner of campus, it’s a little bit of a hike getting to and from class everyday.

Shaw Hall

shaw

Pros: Shaw truly has it all — private bathrooms, a remodeled and less-crowded dining hall, a pool table and piano in the basement as entertainment while doing laundry. But the best part is its location, as it sits right on the corner of Comstock and Euclid. Walking to class takes 10 minutes at most, and with frat row on one side and off-campus houses on the other, finding parties won’t be a problem.

Cons: While Shaw is in a convenient spot for classes, its biggest drawback is that frat-row proximity. Don’t be surprised when the frat house a few doors down is blasting house music on a Wednesday night, or when drunk people are yelling and screaming from the sidewalks outside your window as you try to sleep.

Skyhalls I, II and III: Transfer Halls

skyhalls

Pros: The Skyhalls all have private bathrooms and fairly up to date laundry facilities for which there is rarely a queue. Its close proximity to Goldstein Student Center, which has pretty solid dining and grocery options, is a big bonus as well. The only other pro is being able to meet other transfer students and talk about how SU is so much better than your old school.

Cons: Where to start? The Skyhalls are on South Campus, which leaves some students feeling isolated despite the implementation of the South Campus Wellness Initiative. The bus system is infrequent and during those frigid winters your Uncle Dan warned you about, your fingers might freeze off.

The Lucky Ones

Pros: If you aren’t living in one of the dorms listed above: Congratulations, you basically won the lottery. This means you are closer to campus and to better dining options in a dorm that is primarily for upperclassmen.

Cons: All of the other freshmen hate you, and so do the upperclassmen in your dorms. You are envied by your peers, and those older than you have no desire in cuddling up on the floor lounge for a movie night.

Upperclassmen, what did we miss? Comment below and tell the incoming freshmen and first-year transfer students the best and worst parts of your first year living in SU’s dorms.

— compiled by Asst. Feature Editor Alex Erdekian, Feature Editor Jacob Gedetsis, Asst. Copy Editor Rachel Gilbert, Asst. Web Editor Momin Rafi and Staff Writer Clare Ramirez