Countdown to Camp

No. 8: Ervin Philips’ time to shine

Logan Reidsma | Photo Editor

Ervin Philips thrived as a true freshman for Syracuse in 2014. In 2015, though, he'll need to lead SU at its new "hybrid" position.

With Syracuse football training camp just a month away, The Daily Orange beat writers, Sam Blum, Jesse Dougherty, Matt Schneidman and Paul Schwedelson will reveal the top 15 preseason storylines with a new one every other day. Make sure to check dailyorange.com and click here to see all the posts as we count down to camp.

Sophomore Ervin Philips is one of the most explosive players on Syracuse’s offense, and now he has a new position to show off his skills.

Tim Lester, who is entering his first full season as the Orange’s offensive coordinator, introduced the “hybrid” this past spring and Philips is the frontrunner to start at the new position. The hybrid could line up in the backfield, in the slot or on the line.

Philips, who primarily played running back but also moonlighted as a slot receiver and kick returner as a true freshman, could be a solid fit for the role in its inaugural season at SU.

As a running back, Philips’ chances were limited behind seniors Prince-Tyson Gulley and Adonis Ameen-Moore. When he occasionally took jet sweeps or played in certain packages, he showed flashes of potential to break out on the ground.

While Lester said during the spring that Philips perfectly fits the running back position, putting him at hybrid allows Syracuse to maximize him on the field.

Though Philips totaled just 194 yards rushing and 57 yards receiving on the season, he finished his freshman year with his best three-game statistical stretch of the season, showing positive signs entering the offseason. In those contests Philips ran for 71 yards on 14 carries and caught six passes for 27 yards.

The numbers are far from eye-popping, but Philips heads into training camp with a bigger role and likely more opportunities than he had last year.