Countdown to Camp

No. 10: Steve Ishmael’s expanded role in year 2

Margaret Lin | Staff Photographer

Sophomore Steve Ishmael will be a go-to passing option for quarterback Terrel Hunt a year after the wideout opened eyes.

With Syracuse football training camp just a month away, The Daily Orange beat writers, Sam Blum, Jesse Dougherty, Matt Schneidman and Paul Schwedelson will reveal the top 15 preseason storylines with a new one every other day. Make sure to check dailyorange.com and click here to see all the posts as we count down to camp.

Steve Ishmael broke out for Syracuse last year on the biggest stage the Orange had all season.

At home against Florida State in October, Ishmael and fellow true freshman AJ Long tried to lead a second-half comeback in tandem against the nation’s then-No. 1 team. Two touchdowns and an SU loss later, talk of the future with Ishmael quickly became expectations of the present.

Now a sophomore, Ishmael comes in as Syracuse’s most prominent wide receiver. With the departure of Jarrod West due to graduation, and the shifting of an offense that’s moved Ben Lewis, and Ashton Broyld to a new “hybrid” position, Ishmael has had the most success of the remaining crop of receivers.

As a freshman, the 6-foot-2, 200-pound Florida native collected 27 receptions, good for fourth all-time on the SU rookie record list. His three touchdown receptions led the team, as did his 15.4 yards per catch. He had a 46-yard catch at Pittsburgh in November that was his season long.

Syracuse will rely heavily on sophomores at many positions in the 2015 season, but few have the experience and proven ability that Ishmael does. SU head coach Scott Shafer has raved about the potential of redshirt freshman Adly Enoicy and sophomore Jamal Custis as up-and-coming young receivers. In the spring, receiver Alvin Cornelius rose to the top of a crop of players that performed above expectations.

But those three players combined for just seven catches last year. Ishmael’s in-game ability leaves less to be proven, and that’s why he holds the top spot on the depth chart.