Athletic Department Shake-up

Syracuse University athletic department: Terry Donovan reportedly out as CFO, Marc Donabella reportedly on leave after DWI

Three members of the Syracuse athletics staff have been removed from their positions since Daryl Gross stepped down as director of athletics in March, according to a Post-Standard report by Chris Carlson.

Terry Donovan, who has served as chief financial offer of the athletics department since 2011, will no longer serve in that role, though he is still an employee of the university, the report said.

In addition, Gross’ wife, Lael, will be leaving the university after serving as assistant athletics director for trademarks and licensing. She had been working part time for the past six years and said in a statement given to The Post-Standard that she wanted to be at home with their children full-time.

These administrative adjustments, along with former chief communications officer Joe Giansante being placed on administrative leave in March, have all been made under Pete Sala’s term as interim athletic director. The moves come shortly after a Bain Report, an all-encompassing report that pushed for greater financial efficiency at SU.

The roles of Donovan and Giansante have been filled by Sue Edson and Andy Frazo, The Post-Standard said. Edson, the associate athletic communications director will fill the duties left by Giansante and Frazo for Donovan. He was added to the staff directory as a senior associate athletic director and director of budget and finance.

Frazo worked under Sala until 2006 as the Carrier Dome’s business manager until he was promoted to assistant athletic director for budget and finance, according to the Post-Standard.

The school has also been working without associate athletics director for marketing Marc Donabella since March 1, who the Post-Standard reported was arrested for driving while intoxicated after driving off a bridge on I-81 North.

Senior vice president for public affairs Kevin Quinn told The Post-Standard that Donabella is currently on leave.

“Pete is serving very well as interim Athletic Director and as such his decisions are meant to keep the Department operating smoothly and efficiently during this time of transition,” Quinn told The Post-Standard. “Also, we appreciate that many staff have stepped up to take on additional responsibilities during the transition.”