Women's Lacrosse

Goalie Alex Fitzpatrick transfers to Maryland in last season of eligibility, posts career-best season

Alex Fitzpatrick just finished her senior season at Lehigh and was working on getting a job to start in the fall. Her focus was on the future, not on lacrosse.

But just as she began to look beyond her time in college, she received a phone call. Maryland – the defending national champions – got in contact with Lehigh head coach Jill Redfern to see if her former goalkeeper had any interest in playing a fifth year for the Terrapins.

It was an offer she couldn’t resist. Fitzpatrick acclimated quickly to the idea of another year of college lacrosse and moved to her new school.

“She knew that was the opportunity of a lifetime,” Molly Fitzpatrick, Alex’s sister said, “so she had to take advantage of it.”

After thinking her lacrosse career was over, the redshirt senior has been the key cog of a Maryland team that ranks fifth in the nation in scoring defense, allowing just 7.2 goals per game.

Despite moving from the Patriot League to the Big Ten, the goalkeeper hasn’t skipped a beat. Fitzpatrick currently holds the fifth-best goals against average in the NCAA, a career-best 6.91, and allowed just five goals in Sunday’s NCAA tournament quarterfinal against Northwestern. She’ll take the cage when Maryland (19-1, 5-0 Big Ten) plays Syracuse (16-7, 3-4 Atlantic Coast) on Friday at 7:30 p.m. at PPL Park in the NCAA tournament semifinals.

“I didn’t know what to expect going to the No. 1 team in the country,” Fitzpatrick said, “but being here and going through the experience, I wouldn’t change anything for the world.”

At Maryland, Fitzpatrick’s experience, leadership and communication on the defensive end have been instrumental in filling the void created after Abbey Clipp, last season’s goalkeeper, graduated, head coach Cathy Reese said.

Jill Redfern, Fitzpatrick’s head coach at Lehigh, praised Fitzpatrick’s solid fundamentals, quick hands and natural ability to make saves. It’s a toolkit that helps masks Fitzpatrick’s small 5-foot-4 frame and has aided her adjustment to a more competitive conference.

“It’s a tough spot to come into because you’re playing behind a (defense) that’s been playing together for a while, but she’s done a really nice job transitioning in,” Reese said.

Entering the season, senior defender Megan Douty said she had low expectations for her goalkeeper. But Fitzpatrick turned heads quickly as she amassed more saves and showcased her ability between the pipes.

“She makes incredible toe saves that I’ve never seen,” Douty said. “Her feet are like crazy.”

In addition to solid one-on-one defense and crashing the gap early, Douty said that Fitzpatrick’s ability to stop low-angle shots has been a large reason why the Maryland defense has been able to be so effective.

Fitzpatrick has stuck true to her fundamentals and remained consistent despite changing teams and conferences before the season.

“I think Alex is an excellent technical goalkeeper,” Redfern said, “…her reflexes are gonna carry her.”

Prior to receiving the phone call, Molly said her sister was preparing to stay at home for a change.

Instead, Fitzpatrick put those plans on hold to chase a national championship and help her new team repeat as NCAA champions. It’s this willingness to tackle a challenge, Molly said, that explains the goalkeeper’s success.

“Not everyone can play five years of college lacrosse because it does take a lot out on your body,” Molly Fitzpatrick said. “…so I think it shows a lot about her character that she was able to do that this year and do so well.”