Tattoo Tuesday

Tattoo Tuesday: Vivian Curry

Doris Huang | Staff Photographer

Vivian Curry has two Native American men tattooed on her shins. The one on her right represents heaven and faith, and the one on her left represents hell and Satanism.

Vivian Curry’s 13 tattoos tell the story of her self-exploration and spiritual journey after leaving the Mormon church when she was 18 years old.

The oil paintings tattooed on the front of both of Curry’s shins depict two Native American men. The one on her right leg, she said, represents heaven and faith, and the one on her left leg represents hell and Satanism.

“I wanted to it to have a Native American theme to it because I am proud of my culture,” said Curry, a junior television, radio and film major.

The inspiration for the oil paintings came from an artist in Curry’s community who paints murals for local casinos and sells his prints. Curry took one of his paintings and adapted it to fit on her leg, she said.

Curry was raised as a Mormon on a reservation in Buffalo, New York. She described herself as being a very devout Mormon when she was a young girl, having attended services every Sunday. Curry’s mother is extremely religious, she added, and was upset when she decided to leave the church. Her mother thought she was satanic.

“I like darker things, but I’m not satanic,” Curry said.

Curry got her first tattoo despite her mother’s opinion. It is a mother and daughter holding hands with a daisy, with the quote “endless love for all time and eternity” — an important quote of the Mormon faith. Although she got it rebelliously, she said it is symbolic of her eternal love for her mother.

Since leaving the Mormon faith, Curry has explored different religions, but ultimately decided against abiding by an organized religion. It wasn’t until recently that Curry’s mother began to accept her tattoos and piercings.

“I do what makes me happy,” Curry said, “and if people don’t like it, I’m like, ‘Oh well, it’s not your body. It’s mine.’”