Syracuse University’s chapter of nonprofit Enactus places fourth in national competition

The Syracuse University chapter of the nonprofit organization Enactus came in fourth place in its league of 181 teams at the Enactus United States National Exposition. The competition took place in St. Louis this past weekend and allowed the students to present some of their projects at the annual competition.

“It was inspiring to see the work and initiatives that almost 3,000 students are doing to improve economic, social and environmental sustainability through social entrepreneurship,” said Amanda Nicholson, SU Enactus adviser and associate dean of undergraduate programs in the Martin J. Whitman School of Management.

During the four-day competition, which ran from last Monday to Thursday, a team of six presenters spoke on three of the chapter’s ongoing projects.

“We wanted to emphasize that we’re trying to help people work towards the future,” said Kelley Long, president of SU Enactus. “We’re trying to act forward.”

Long, a senior supply chain management and retail management double major who’s been involved with Enactus since her sophomore year, added that the presenters tied the projects they spoke on into the theme of acting forward.

Enactus, which had around 145 members this semester, chose only these three projects to present in St. Louis:

— “Best Foot Forward”
For almost three years, the students have worked with female inmates in the Onondaga County Department of Correction to prepare them for life after prison. Members help inmates create resumes, cover letters and hold workshops to help them become more confident in interviews and professional interactions.

— “Mission Returns”
Enactus has been partnered with the Recuse Mission over the past five years. This year members helped raise $17,000 for the Rescue Mission by working with SU to donate the university’s used bottles and cans to be redeemed for five cents each. In addition, 18 fraternities also participated, donating their used bottles and cans to be redeemed for the Rescue Mission.

— “Rescue Glass”
Members have set up, planned and marketed a small business where homeless Rescue Mission clients remake “upcycled” old glass bottles into different kinds of glassware and sell them. “They’re taking it to a new level,” Long said.

To ensure that these programs would be well-presented at the Exposition, Enactus members spent dozens of hours each week in preparation during the spring 2015 semester, said Elizabeth Searight, Enactus vice president of competition.

Searight, a senior public relations major, said she led a team effort between the student presenters and faculty moderators to be fully ready to compete in April. Preparation involved selecting projects to use and students to present, writing presenters’ scripts and running them through frequent practice sessions.

“Regularly, we had presenters outside practicing their lines for hours,” Searight said.

SU Enactus is a veteran of this annual national competition, competing regularly. The chapter’s teams have placed high in the past, claiming the second overall spot in 2010, and fourth overall in 2011, Searight added.

Still, Long said the greatest reward is seeing the impact that Enactus makes on people’s lives.

“You can see on the faces of the people we work with how grateful they are,” Long said. “It’s seeing them smile that’s the most rewarding.”

Though Long and Searight will be graduating along with other Enactus-involved SU seniors this spring, leadership of SU Enactus will fall to the current president-elect.

“The Enactus team at SU has grown over the years and I see its future as bright,” said Nicholson, the team’s adviser. “The rewards, both for the individuals involved, for the communities they serve and for the whole university are priceless.”

Correction: In a previous version of this article, it was unclear how many total teams participated in the competition. 181 teams participated total, and those teams were divided into four leagues. In addition, the SU chapter of Enactus’ final standing was misstated. The chapter placed 4th in its league, and 16th overall. The Daily Orange regrets these errors.