Syracuse team physician disqualifies Isaiah Johnson from football team due to concussion history through 2 seasons

Rising junior defensive lineman Isaiah Johnson will not return to the Syracuse football program for his third season, according to an announcement by Syracuse Athletics on Tuesday.

SU’s team physician examined Johnson’s concussion history, per the release, and has medically disqualified him from participating in any future contact sporting events with Syracuse.

The 6-foot-4, 287-pound lineman played in all 12 games for the Orange last season, registering five tackles, one sack and one forced fumble, which came in SU’s 31-15 loss against Notre Dame on Sept. 27. In two years with Syracuse, Johnson totaled 10 tackles and one interception.

Johnson’s first concussion at SU came against Florida St. on Nov. 16, 2013, when he sacked Seminoles quarterback Jameis Winston. A freshman at the time, Johnson didn’t practice the rest of that week and had trouble recalling the sequence of events.

“After that, it just went blank,” Johnson said at the time to The Daily Orange, talking about his sack. “They said I celebrated, played another play after that, but I don’t remember. ”