Syracuse-based grocery delivery app to begin including beer delivery service

Logan Reidsma | Asst. Photo Editor

Nojaim Brothers Supermarket, located on the Near West Side of Syracuse, has partnered with the Rosie app to provide home grocery deliver for its customers. As a new addition to the services, the Rosie app will now deliver beer to customers. The app is mainly designed to assist the elderly and teenagers.

Rosie, an online grocery delivery app that was created in 2012, will continue its expansion in Syracuse and nationally, including a new beer delivery service.

Named after the computer on the animated TV show “The Jetsons,” Rosie is designed to connect residents with food from local supermarkets, especially those who are unable to go out to buy groceries. Just like the smart computer on the show, Rosie will use her intelligence to remember customers’ past orders and suggest new items for the future.

“We wanted to make it possible for people to shop online from their local stores,” said co-founder of Rosie, Nick Nickitas.

Currently, Rosie partners with grocery stores across the United States and many more states are interested and plan to form a partnership with Rosie in the future. On a basic level, Rosie provides materials for the online shopping experience, a “portal” Nickitas said, and nothing more. This creates more potential to grow very quickly.

Rosie is currently working on creating a beer delivery service with Nojaim Brothers Supermarket on Syracuse’s Near Westside.

One of the co-owners of the supermarket, Paul Nojaim, ran into Nickitas at a symposium for investors in downtown Syracuse. Paul runs the Gifford Street store, and was looking for ways to increase revenue for their business.

“Paul was more of the driving force after he met with the Rosie people and starting doing things with them,” said Rich Nojaim, Paul’s brother and co-owner of the supermarket. This new delivery system is in the works and could start up soon.

Nickitas also said he hopes the new beer delivery system will be popular among students, as it involves the convenience of beer delivery to one’s door. He said it can be difficult to get the attention of college students and “it can also be a real pain for them to get food.”

In addition to assisting students with getting groceries, Rosie helps senior citizens and the elderly, along with students in the local area that do not have access to a car to drive and get groceries.

Rosie delivers all over Syracuse, focusing on locally owned stores. Unlike other online ordering services like Peapod, Rosie does not focus on chain stores. Instead, they focus on small businesses that are looking to grow and expand. Customers can specify exactly what they want, and an employee in the store handpicks the products for them.

“You have store employees who are trained in finding the freshest, ripest item. Those are the people picking out your orders,” Nickitas said.

Rosie received its main funding from a business competition in Syracuse in early 2013. Overall, nearly 100 different startups applied, and Rosie was chosen out of five finalists. The Rosie team spent more than two months meeting with advisers and judges before being selected as the winner. They received $150,000 and a $50,000 marketing services package provided by Eric Mower and Associates.

“We were selected because of our potential to have a huge impact,” Nickitas said. Rosie was also selected because they provided a technology-based service that could affect consumers across the country, even nationally, he added.

Dash’s Market, a Buffalo-based store that has partnered with Rosie, was drawn to the smaller-based feel of Rosie.

What they brought to us we could take and expand and make a set plan for the future,” said owner Joe Dash. “We are hoping to reach customers who can’t reach us.”