Student Association

Members of SA reflect on past experiences, look toward future during final meeting of the year

For senior members of the Student Association, the last meeting of the academic school year was a time for both reflection and looking ahead.

SA held senior night at the last meeting of the semester on Monday in Maxwell Auditorium, a time for those moving on from SA to look back on their experiences and offer advice to those responsible for the future of the organization.

Graduating members of both the cabinet and assembly came to the front of the room, discussing past roles in SA, as well as speaking to the future.

An emotional Boris Gresely acknowledged everyone that has been with him through his three semesters as president, stating that he could not have done it without the people around him.

Gresely said he has had a lot of mentors in his life and advised the assembly to make sure to have a mentor to help teach them the ropes. Boris thanked the members of SA for allowing him to lead them, saying it has been a rollercoaster ride.

Parliamentarian Stephen Thomas said in his farewell speech that SA is what you make it and told members of the organization to not become complacent and always strive for more.

Alejandra Avina, current director of student engagement, told members to enjoy their time on campus and support their peers, also advising them to critically engage.

A farewell video to President Boris Gresely, Vice President Daniela Lopez and Comptroller Patrick Douglas was also shown during the meeting, with members of SA reflecting on personal memories with them.

Outside of the reflections, elections for speaker and parliamentarian also took place during Monday’s meeting.

The assembly elected Janine Bogris, vice chair for the Board of Elections and Membership, as speaker for the next session. Bogris was one of two people nominated by assembly for the position and selected after a series of discussion and voting.

Bogris said during a question period that she feels capable of keeping meetings moving in a timely fashion and that she thinks the position requires the trust of everyone there, something she said she feels she has.

James Franco was elected as parliamentarian of SA for next session. He was the only person who accepted their nomination by assembly for the position and was nominated by current Parliamentarian Stephen Thomas.

Franco said during a question period that the position of parliamentarian was something he had looked at from the beginning. Franco said as parliamentarian, he would like to get more resolutions passed, which he said shows SA taking a stance on things.

Franco was voted in after a brief assembly discussion period.

To conclude the “senior night” portion of the meeting, Gresely called down all present members of SA onto stage, leading them in one final, “One, two, three, defenders of the student body” chant.