Lt. Gov. Kathy Hochul hosts roundtable at Syracuse University to discuss ways to combat sexual assault on college campuses

Updated: April 23, 2015 at 3:47 p.m.

New York Lt. Gov. Kathy Hochul held a roundtable discussion with members of the Syracuse University community on Thursday to address the passing of legislation to further combat sexual assault on college campuses.

The discussion, which took place in the Dr. Paul and Natalie Strasser Legacy Room in Eggers Hall at 11 a.m., started with Chancellor Kent Syverud addressing the audience of about 25 people.

Syverud spoke briefly about the Chancellor’s Workgroup on Sexual Violence Prevention, Education and Advocacy and how through the workgroup, he has now established a 30-member permanent task force on sexual assault and relationship violence.

After Syverud spoke, members of the panel introduced themselves and spoke briefly about what they would like to see accomplished at SU and throughout NY state.

In addition to Hochul, the 10-person panel included student representatives, SU administrators and other members of the SU community.

The first panel member to speak was Randi Bregman, executive director of Vera House, who said she would like to continue to enhance the university’s response, to change the culture on campus and to make improvements on the prevention front.

Rebecca Reed Kantrowitz, senior vice president and dean of student affairs, then spoke about how the Office of Student Affairs has taken steps to support students who have experienced sexual and relationship violence.

Hochul then addressed the audience and panel members about the need to pass legislation to further combat sexual assault on college campuses by the end of June.

“In order to have the policy that the governor had imposed on SUNY schools in October apply across the system to private institutions, we need state action,” Hochul said.

Hochul said Gov. Andrew Cuomo tried to get this legislation through to the budget and that there was a lot of negotiation back and forth, but it was ultimately not able to make it.

“But here’s the endgame: we have until the end of June to persuade our state officials in the assembly and the Senate to join the governor’s campaign to get this done,” Hochul said. “I think all of us, whether you’re in the classroom today or in the administration, whether you’re just a parent or a fellow human being, this is something that has to end on our campuses.”

Hochul expressed her goal of making sexual assault prevention more uniform throughout New York. She said there are approximately 1.2 million college students in the state of New York and that the treatment of the victim and the perpetrator really depends on where the student is going to college.

The first part of the legislation is having a uniform definition of what constitutes consent, Hochul said. Hochul said having consent is necessary and empowering for a woman. She added that she did not want to be seen as sexist for only saying women need consent because there are also men who have been subjected to sexual assault.

Hochul also spoke about the need for amnesty and transparency with campus resources for sexual assault and possible involvement with law enforcement. She said some college students may be afraid to come forward about their sexual assault because there was under-aged drinking involved.

“We think it’s important enough to pull back the covers and let people see what’s going on and have transparency and not to have that cloud with the fear that you’re going to get in trouble for other stuff,” Hochul said.

Only the public colleges and universities and private universities within New York state that have adopted the legislation voluntarily, such as SU, are currently included in this legislation. Hochul said she wants to adapt the legislation to include all private universities within the state.

Hochul ended the panel after hearing recommendations from panel members and urged everyone in attendance to spread the word and let their state representatives know that this legislation is important and needs to be passed.

Hochul added that one student should not be more protected than another student because they attend SU since SU has voluntarily adopted the legislation and other private universities have not.

“That’s not justice in our society,” she said. “It shouldn’t be luck of the draw. And that’s the message I need you to get to your state, and your representatives.”