Feature Guide 2015

Learning the ropes: Facilitators discuss elements of SU Outdoor Challenge Course

Frankie Prijatel | Photo Editor

Located on South Campus is the Syracuse University Outdoor Challenge Course, a facility operated by the Department of Recreation Services. Suspended anywhere between 20 to 30 feet in the air, participants navigate their ways through the course in a customized program that will establish trust and allow them to better work with one another. At the end of the course, participants go down a dual zip line and are able to catch a spectacular view of SU’s campus. Scott Catucci, associate director of outdoor education and student development, has been working in the outdoor education industry for 15 years. He and Lauren Stover, program coordinator of outdoor education, are two of the individuals who run the Challenge Course and create the programs for the groups interested in doing the course. The Daily Orange went up to the ropes course with Catucci and Stover as they explained a few of the different elements of the course and how the course builds teamwork.

Ground school

032815_P_RopesCourseblurb3_FrankiePrijatel_PEjpg
Description: Before anyone steps foot onto the course, Catucci and Stover take them through “ground school,” comprised of an imitation set of cables, to explain how to communicate safely on the course while transferring from cable to cable.

How it builds teamwork: By learning the appropriate commands and responses, participants will be able to safely and correctly transfer the ropes attached to their harnesses and ensure the safety of their group members as well as their own.

Pulley polka

032815_P_RopesCourseblurb5_FrankiePrijatel_PE
Description: Working in teams, participants have to collectively balance their way across tightropes. Stepping out onto the tightropes, participants grab onto four hanging ropes that are attached to each other, and must effectively communicate to use the unit to work their way across as a group.

How it builds teamwork: Because the ropes are connected to each other, participants must work together to balance themselves while making their way to reach the other side.

Lateral limbo

032815_P_RopesCourseblurb_FrankiePrijatel_PE
Description: Several cables are strung between two towers. Participants must walk as a group on the cables from one tower to the other, but a series of hanging poles prevents them from taking the same cable the whole way. This forces them to sidestep and avoid the hanging poles until they find a clear path.

How it encourages teamwork: Participants can use the poles for stability by holding on to them, or they can use each other by linking arms and navigating their way past the poles as a unit.

Triple leap of faith

032815_P_Ropescourseblurb2_FrankiePrijatel_PE
Description: While still harnessed to a cable, individuals climb up a 20 to 25-foot-high pole using grips placed all over it. Upon reaching the top, they leap off and attempt to either ring a cowbell or grab onto a trapeze bar.

How it builds confidence: It’s easy to psych yourself out when you’re at the top with only a cable, but it’s best to go for it immediately. “What I like to do is I give myself up to the count of three, and no matter what I want to do, I just go every time,” Stover said.

Matrix

032815_P_RopesCourseblurb4_FrankiePrijatel_PE
Description: A set of platforms  is suspended 20 feet in the air. Once they arrive at another platform, they have to step onto it, fitting the large group onto the small space. The process continues until they reach the central tower that serves as the hub of the course.

How it builds teamwork: All participants must be on the platform before moving to the next. “There’s some up close and personal aspects, learning to balance on one foot and all of that,” Stover said.