Fraternity and Sorority Affairs

“It’s On Us” event raises awareness about sexual assault, violence prevention

Isabella Barrionuevo | Asst. photo editor

Emma Hanrahan, a representative from the Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network and a survivor of sexual assault and rape, shared her personal story at the “It’s On Us” event on Wednesday night. A panel of six spoke to an audience of more than 200 people about the importance of sexual assault and violence awareness and prevention.

As Syracuse University students walked into Stolkin Auditorium Wednesday night, they were handed colored Post-it notes as a part of the “It’s On Us” event.

About 30 minutes later, around 7:30 p.m., students who were given yellow Post-it notes were asked to stand up. About 20 percent of attendees stood up, representing the statistics of how many people are victims of sexual assault and violence.

Brion Neary, a brother of Alpha Chi Rho — the fraternity partnered with the “It’s On Us” initiative — spoke first about how he started the initiative, which is a part of Greek Week. The event, located in the Physics Building, drew more than 200 attendees.

In addition, Neary read statistics about sexual assault. For example, one in five women and one in 16 men are victims of sexual assault, he said.

Emma Hanrahan, a representative from the Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network and a survivor of sexual assault, shared her personal story about the night she was raped and what she dealt with afterward.

“Sexual assault doesn’t just affect you — it affects everyone you love,” Hanrahan said after sharing her story.

Hanrahan said for years after she was raped, she was harassed and blamed for the event. She explained how since she was from a small town, everyone knew what had happened and “95 percent of the people were not on (her) side.”

Hanrahan said the “It’s On Us” pledge is not just about vowing to not assault someone, although that is an important part. She said it’s about creating an environment where sexual assault is unacceptable and survivors can be supported.

“It’s about intervening in situations where consent has not been given or cannot be given,” Hanrahan said. “It’s about identifying situations in which sexual assault has the potential to occur and recognizing that nonconsensual sex in any form is rape. Always.”

Hanrahan ended her presentation by saying, “I was a victim, but now I consider myself a survivor.”

After Hanrahan’s presentation, Cynthia Curtin, a Title IX coordinator from the Office of Equal Opportunity, Inclusion and Resolution Services, emphasized the importance of knowing the resources available for sexual assault and violence survivors.

Joe Shanley, a Department of Public Safety officer, spoke at the event about how students are encouraged to have a plan and use the “buddy system” when they go out to parties and other events.

Shanley also said DPS is open to coordinating safety presentations and events with fraternities and sororities at SU to help educate students and prevent people from becoming victims.

Concluding the event, Anthony McGriff, president of A Men’s Issue, spoke about the various student organizations at SU that are involved in sexual assault and violence awareness and prevention.

“We need to break the silence,” said McGriff, who is a senior political science and philosophy dual major. “If you see something, say something.”

Chrissy Foundos, a sophomore elementary education major, attended the event due to personal experiences and said she hopes it makes people more aware so there are less bystanders.

“It’s important to be there to support (survivors) after it happens because there is no 100 percent guarantee that (the trauma) will ever stop,” Foundos said. “We can help them and empower them. We can make a change.”