Fast reaction: 3 observations from Syracuse lacrosse’s semifinals win over North Carolina

CHESTER, Pa. — Third-seeded Syracuse (10-2, 2-2 Atlantic Coast) took down second-seeded North Carolina (12-3, 3-1) on Friday night, 9-8, at PPL Park in Chester, Pennsylvania in the ACC tournament semifinals. The Orange advanced to the title game to face No. 4-seed Duke (11-4, 1-3), who beat Notre Dame by five.

Here are three quick observations from SU’s semifinal win.

1. Saving face

Though Bobby Wardwell turned in a much-improved performance from last time Syracuse played North Carolina, Tar Heels net minder Kieran Burke manned his goal equally as well.

In more of a defensive battle than when the two teams combined for 32 goals on April 11, the goalkeepers combined for 27 saves on Friday – Wardwell with 14, and Burke with 13.

It was Wardwell who was able to take the last breath though, as a Kevin Rice’s shot snuck past Burke in the fourth quarter to secure the Orange’s one-goal win.

2. Nicky Goal-asso

The former Tar Heel got off to a hot start in the first half, tallying a hat trick in the opening 30 minutes.

With over a minute left in the second quarter, Galasso beat two UNC defenders by holding his stick with one hand and maneuvering up and down through traffic. He beat Burke to tie the game 5-5, and defender Ryan Kilpatrick slammed his stick against the ground.

At halftime, head coach John Desko credited his senior’s familiarity with the Tar Heels to his first-half success. And though Galasso was held off the board in the second frame, he lead Syracuse in goals and his early output was enough to jumpstart SU in the win.

3. Goes both ways

North Carolina’s first three goals of the game came from two defensive midfielders and a man-up specialist. And in the entire game, the Tar Heels’ eight goals came from seven different players.

It was that balance that kept UNC in the game and provided too many offensive options for SU to pull away. But at the same time, UNC stars Joey Sankey and Jimmy Bitter were held to a combined three points for UNC.