Ducks

Duck: Lara Sorokanich

Asst. copy editor | Fall 2013; Feature editor | Spring 2014; Editor in Chief | Fall 2014-Spring 2015

Tony Chao | Art director

A few weeks ago when I met with soon-to-be Editor in Chief Mara Corbett to tell her about the job, I told her this:

You don’t become Editor in Chief of The Daily Orange for yourself. You can’t get by on knowing it’s good for your resume or on the notion that it will make you a better editor. When you become Editor in Chief of The D.O., you do it because you want to make this beloved, historical, wild student-run institution better, and you think you might stand a chance at doing that.

At this point, I can only hope that I left The D.O. in better shape than I found it. But after a year of ordering late-night bubble tea, over-using my snooze button and spending more Thursday nights at 744 Ostrom than at Chuck’s, I know for sure that The D.O. has made me a better person. For my confidence, my sanity and my wonderfully chaotic senior year, I have The D.O. and the following people to thank.

Mom and Dad: I would not have been able to do this job if you didn’t raise me to think I could. I am so lucky to have parents who told me I could do anything I wanted to. I can’t wait to go back to being a normal daughter, after a year of rushed phone calls and distracted conversations. I love you so much. I hope I made you proud.

Asia, Maggie, Lisa, Yobs and Anabelle: Thank you for not disowning me during this crazy year. You’ve given me a life outside of The D.O. and helped me have some semblance of a real senior year. I would not have stayed sane without you. Thanks for making college so ridiculously fun.

Kristin, Joe and Katie: You three formed my first impressions of The D.O. Thanks for helping me fall in love with it.

Vandy: Your sage senior wisdom taught me more than you’ll ever take credit for. Thank you for coming back for your last semester. It really did make a difference.

Chase and Lizzie: Thank you for keeping The D.O. running for so long, then passing it off to us in good faith. I understand now that it must not have been easy. Your help and advice have been invaluable.

Katie, Kathleen, Dara and Mark: Thank you for always answering my phone calls and emails, even before we’d ever met. It meant a lot.

Casey: Your advice has helped me get through a lot of road bumps. Thanks for helping out in little ways all year. In the end, it’s added up to a lot. You go above and beyond for The D.O. and it’s a better place because you were a part of it.

Klinger: Never did get that workshop scheduled, but at least we got some nutgrafs in stories.

Renee: Thanks for the beautiful photos, smiles and giggles you spread around the office.

Natasha: You’re the most fiercest and most fabulous dresser to ever grace The D.O.’s newsroom (sorry Brett).

Georgie: Stay sassy, my friend.

Jocey and Anna: Thanks for keeping up with us through all the breaking news this year, and sorry about the slew texts you received whenever they happened.

Nikeya: For such a little person, you packed in a whole lot of happiness. It was a joy having you in house.

Bella: You’ll always be the D.O. baby in my heart. Good luck next year, I hope you find everything you’re looking for.

Jake: This isn’t “goodbye,” it’s “see ya in a month!”

Matt: You’ve grown leaps and bounds as a designer this year, and have a lot to be proud of. Keep killin’ grilled cheeses in London, then come back here in the spring.

Tony: Thanks for all the illos, and for not practicing boxing on me when asked to redo them.

Shawna: Your sunny disposition always made news a little brighter.

Alex: Don’t be afraid to speak up, you have great ideas. You’re going to be an awesome assistant.

Leslie: When you came in for your interview, you stared googly eyed at all the ducks. You’re a space cadet, but the most creative one I know, and the perfect person to forge the way with the web team.

Nick: I will forever be scarred by Shrekt, but will forever be happy to have worked with you. The D.O. needs creativity like yours, I hope you stick around.

Sydney and Kat: We were so impressed with both of your interviews in the fall, and you haven’t stop impressing since. You’re both vital, sassy parts of this household, and I’m so happy to have worked with such talented freshmen (wait, you’re freshmen?)

Danny: As my last lame-duck appointment as EIC, I officially appoint you to the next Wednesday questioner. Take that role seriously.

Lydia and Anna M.: Thanks for toughing it through being assistants. You’re two of the best news feature writers we have, I’m excited to keep reading.

Max: Sometimes you’re too art for this D.O. life, but mostly I think you’re a perfect addition. Keep warping text and making people like it.

Momin: Your willingness to speak your mind pushed the paper to new places this semester. Keep pushing and stay innovative.

Logan: Thanks for letting me eat your Pringles. You’re the most easygoing person at 744, and you’re going to be a great photo editor for it.

Brendan: Never forget the Pulp men’s rights movement, or that weird mumbling thing you did for Secret Santa. I laughed thinking about it. Thanks for keeping it light in Pulp.

Schwed and Grossman: You are two of the hardest working people I know, with great ideas and the drive to make them reality. Take the two years you have left and really make them count. I know you’ll do some amazing things (and that doesn’t include becoming a paper boy, Schwed).

Schneidman: Our resident sports news breaker. Keep working hard, and keep being goofy. Sports morale is important too.

Sara: You always have a smile on your face at The D.O., and your giggles make me think you might be the next Jess Iannetta. Keep chasing sirens and stay optimistic.

Justin: God bless the news section that gets to have you in charge of it. I have a feeling it will be the most orderly, peppy news section we’ve ever seen. I’ll miss hearing your laugh from across the hall in management. Make sure the next team keeps hearing it.

Jackie: Stay confident in your great ideas, they’re the hardest part of this industry and you’ve had them since I hired you as a D.O. baby. Keeping pushing yourself as always, and I know you’ll thrive. The Larax believes in you.

Clare: Don’t underestimate what you’ve accomplished this semester. It was crazy at times, but you’ve done a great job. You’ve grown so much since the day you told me you wanted to work in Feature and wrote it on an orange. I’m proud of you.

Margo: I remember hearing about the girl who wrote stories AND took her own photos when I was a copy editor. You’ve taken on a lot of positions since then, and you’ve handled being thrown into unexpected roles with grace. Keep it up, kiddo.

Jacob: You’re going to do a lot for feature. You’re young, but you have some of the best ideas of anyone in house. Never be afraid to ask for help carrying them out. And never yuck anyone’s yum. Seriously.

KB: Never apologize for being fabulous. You are one of the most interesting people on this campus, and I’m glad you found people who appreciate your humor and sass at The D.O. Sorry I thought you were a snob the first time I met you, it’s just because you dress so well. Keep being you, and you’ll end up ruling the world.

Chloe: Sharing cute animal pics with you has been a pleasure. Let me know if you ever end up in that fallback job of being a zookeeper. I hope it’s with the baby sloths. In the meantime, you’re going to be an amazing PD.

Sam: You’ve had your grumpy moments, but I’m really proud of how much you’ve grown this semester. It’s evident that you care deeply about The D.O., and that’s a strong start already. Use that passion to make sports great. Listen to this management team, they’re smart and will never guide you in the wrong direction.

Frankie: You light up the room your outgoingness, I’ve been blown away by it since the day we interviewed you last spring. Thanks for handling one of the hardest jobs in house with kindness, patience and endless optimism. You killed it.

Phil: You’ve been a part of The D.O. for so many years, it’s hard to believe you’re done. I’m really proud of the quiet guy I met my sophomore year for turning into the confident sports editor who gave a killer speech at Battle. Thanks for letting me infringe on your friend group, and for all the memories that have come with it.

Jess: You were the perfect News Editor for an EIC from Feature to have her first semester. Thanks for always having stories planned, for teaching me great news judgment by example and for handling that extremely difficult job with patience and a lot of giggles.

Erin: The quest for a perfect ugly Mayfest sweatshirt was a grueling one, but ultimately we prevailed. I’m so happy I got to know you this semester, there was a lot more laughter in management because of it. Handle with care.

Lindsay: I cried when you left house because sending the paper with you while listening to JoJo was always one of the best parts of the night. Thanks for bringing laughter and “meeps” to the wee hours of the morning. More importantly, thanks for being brave and creative with your design. It really helped push this paper forward.

Audrey: I still remember the day you FB messaged me about becoming copy chief of The D.O. You asked if it was a hard job. I lied and I’m glad I did. You’ve been a hilarious and wonderful addition to 744, a beloved honorary member of sports and a staple of D.O. parties, along with your knife. I was so happy to have you be a part of this. I hope you loved The D.O. as much as it loved you.

Brett: Your dry sense of humor has kept me smiling all year. You’re going to do a great job as ME and unofficial morale booster. You’ve proven your talent by having one of the most organized and happy news sections I’ve seen in my time at The D.O. Thank you for making this semester easy and fun for news, and for making it so easy to pass the paper off to you.

Mara: When I first started at The D.O. my junior year, you were the first semester freshman designer that everyone wanted in their sections. You’ve always excelled and impressed, and now you’re about to be an incredible and innovative Editor in Chief. If you ever need help, I’m a phone call or G-chat away — but I doubt you’ll need it. I’m so proud of you, I couldn’t be leaving the paper in better hands.

Meredith: The best decision I ever made as EIC was asking you to be my ME. You have been my partner through printer issues, ceiling collapses, budget troubles, fundraising, NCAA sanctions, chancellor meetings and a slew of other tough situations we never expected. The craziest thing is that after all that, it still managed to be one of the best years of my life. I attribute that to my other half, who kept up morale even in our own office. I would never have gotten through this year without you. Thanks for making Laradith whole.

Jesse: You may not remember, but on the first night we ever hung out, I told you I wanted to be Editor in Chief. You smiled at me and said, “You’re going to do it.”

Since that day, you have never stopped encouraging me. You held my hand as I walked to senior board and have dried my tears as I come to grips with graduating. You have kept me grounded, and smothered my insecurities with love and loyalty and understanding. We’ve come a long way from most eligible bachelor and bachelorette, and you made my most stressful year the best I’ve ever had. I couldn’t have done it without you. I love you. Kayak.