Student Association

Assembly members elect Board of Trustees representative, reflect on semester’s accomplishments

The Syracuse University Student Association assembly elected its Board of Trustees representative and reflected on this semester’s accomplishments at Monday night’s meeting.

Residence Hall Association president-elect Nedda Sarshar was elected as the SA Board of Trustees representative at the meeting in Maxwell Auditorium. Sarshar, the current director of civic engagement for RHA, was selected out of three candidates after a series of assembly discussions and voting.

Sarshar and two other candidates fielded a series of questions from assembly members regarding qualifications and understanding of the position before leaving the room so the assembly could discuss.

Sarshar, a sophomore writing and rhetoric, and citizenship and civic engagement dual major and former SA representative, said during the meeting that through her experience with RHA, she has been able to build a huge network and reach out to a large amount of students, something that could be helpful for the position. Sarshar said she hopes to address issues that need attention in student life.

Sarshar said the Board of Trustees representative role involves communication with administrators, something that her current role in RHA already requires her to do on a daily basis.

After candidates left the room, a series of discussions took place addressing what the candidates had to offer, experiences assembly members have had with candidates and personal endorsements, as well as concerns that members of the assembly had. Rounds of voting then led to the final decision.

In addition to elections, co-directors of public relations for SA Lyle Weston and Nicole Sherwood presented during the meeting on what the public relations committee accomplished this semester.

The public relations committee worked with every SA committee and helped to promote initiatives such as Chat & Dine and The Cuse Conference, according to the presentation. Some of the other accomplishments the public relations presentation highlighted included the creation of a weekly blog and two newsletters, tabling events and home college meet and greets, as well as an increase of followers on social media.

SA President Boris Gresely also addressed some of the events that took place on campus this past week during the meeting. Gresely thanked members of SA for their help in making The Cuse Conference happen, something Gresely said the organization has been trying to make work for a long time. He also thanked those who helped with Impact Week, which he said was phenomenal.

Gresely also offered congratulations to newly elected SA president and vice president Aysha Seedat and Jane Hong, respectively, who won last week’s school-wide elections.