4th annual Syracuse University Blood Battle to continue throughout month of April

Jenifer Moss’ life was saved because of a blood drive.

When Jennifer, who is married to Todd Moss, a professor in the Martin J. Whitman School of Management, had her right iliac accidentally severed during a cesarean section, she received over 200 units of blood.

“My life was saved almost two years ago because 200 strangers donated blood,” she said. “You never know the difference you make in the world.  As you donate blood, you are saving lives like mine.”

The fourth annual Syracuse University Blood Battle, against Boston College, will take place throughout the month of April. The event kicks off with its first drive on Thursday in Sadler Hall and Boland Lounge from 12–5 p.m. The American Red Cross is expecting 500 donors to come out to any of the 10 sites setup around campus from April 2–23.

Sponsored by the American Red Cross and the Division of Student Affairs, this year’s Blood Battle theme is “the Drive for 500. 1 month. 10 drives. 500 donors.” The goal is to collect 500 units of blood in the month of April with 10 drives dispersed around campus and 500 donors.

On Feb. 11, the Blood Battle’s kick-off event collected a total of 125 blood units. At the kickoff, students, staff and faculty were able to donate and make an appointment for one of the blood drives taking place throughout the month, according to a fact sheet created by Katie Stepanian of the American Red Cross.

Donors from college and high school blood drives account for as much as 20 percent of the Red Cross’s blood supply. Many student organizations in need of community service have pledged to attend certain drive dates and times so each day’s donation targets are met, according to the fact sheet.

For each drive, the sponsoring organizations will be tabling inside the Schine Student Center to encourage students, faculty and staff to sign up to donate. Donors are also able to make an appointment online, on the phone or by using the Red Cross application.

“Each donation will help save up to three lives,” Stepanian said. “Up to 1,500 patients’ lives will be saved if we hit our target of 500 units.”

Stepanian said the need for blood is constant. This is because red blood cells only live up to 42 days, platelets five days and plasma can be frozen up to one year, she said.

If students cannot donate blood, there are other ways to get involved. Students can volunteer the day of the blood drive, raise awareness by campaigning for the blood drive and tabling in Schine or become a blood drive coordinator, said Katherine Frega, an SU senior and blood drive coordinator, who was a blood recipient of the Blood Battle in the past.

“When I was in cancer treatment, especially after I received a stem cell transplant from my sisters that wiped out my immune system, I was in need of red blood cells and platelets on a daily basis,” Frega said.

“Students and staff should donate because one small needle prick and being somewhat uncomfortable for 10 minutes can make such a difference for someone who receives hundreds of needle pricks a week and spends months in the hospital,” she said.