Softball

Syracuse squanders 3-run lead to Louisville, falls 13-7 in series finale

Despite a seven-run fourth inning, Syracuse (12-17, 0-6 Atlantic Coast) lost to Louisville (22-8, 11-1), 13-7, in the finale of a three-game series in Louisville, Kentucky.

As she did in the first two games Saturday, Jocelyn Cater started the game and took the loss. Cater gave up 19 hits and 13 runs, 10 of them earned.

Cater struck out four, tying for her lowest total in more than three innings of work this season.

Down 4-0 in the fourth inning, the Orange found its only offensive spark of the day when second baseman Julie Wambold walked to lead off the inning.

After a fielder’s choice allowed shortstop Corinne Ozanne to reach base, first baseman Sydney O’Hara singled to score SU’s first run of the game. She is currently riding a five-game hitting streak.

Three batters later, left fielder Rachel Burkhardt clocked the first home run of her career, scoring three batters for the freshman’s first three RBIs, giving SU a 5-4 lead. Later in the inning, right fielder Maddi Doane and center fielder Mary Dombrowski scored on an error to give SU a three-run cushion.

But SU wouldn’t manage another hit the rest of the game and just one base runner from a seventh-inning walk. Though Cater made it to the seventh inning with a 7-6 lead, she couldn’t hold it in the final stanza.

On the strength of eight hits and two errors, Louisville scored seven runs in the top of the seventh to take a 13-7 lead. Syracuse was the home team since the series had to be moved to Louisville after the SU field was deemed unplayable.

Syracuse’s next game is Wednesday at Fordham (14-13, 2-2 Atlantic 10) at 3 p.m.

Compiled by Jack Rose, staff writer, jlrose@syr.edu.