crime

2 Nu Alpha Phi members arrested on hazing charges, incident leads to fraternity’s suspension

Justin Mattingly | Asst. News Editor

Two members of Nu Alpha Phi have been arrested for involvement in a hazing incident. The fraternity is housed at 739 Ackerman Ave.

UPDATED: March 4, 2015 at 11:26 p.m.

Two members of Nu Alpha Phi have been arrested on hazing charges for their involvement in an incident that may cause a pledge to lose four fingers due to severe frostbite.

The fraternity was suspended Monday when the university first received details of the incident, said Kevin Quinn, Syracuse University’s senior vice president for public affairs. The incident was reported to the university earlier this week, and the school notified the Syracuse Police Department, which began an investigation, he said.

“The university is dedicated to promoting a safe and healthy campus environment that rejects all forms of hazing and fosters respect for the dignity and rights of all our campus community members,” Quinn said in an email.

The incident occurred at about midnight on Sunday, when three pledges of Nu Alpha Phi were told to perform exercises in Lower Hookway Park on East Colvin Street as punishment for “failing to perform their daily duties properly,” Syracuse police said.

According to police, the victim, who is a 20-year-old SU student, said the pledging members were told to perform pushups and situps, and to roll in the snow at the park for approximately 20 minutes. Pledges were dressed in sweatshirts, pants, boots and no gloves. After finishing the exercises, the pledges were given hand warmers and told to walk back to the fraternity at 739 Ackerman Ave.

The victim said when he returned home he felt severe pain in his hands even after running them under hot water, according to police. The next day, still in pain, he went to Crouse Hospital where he was told he had severe frostbite to his fingers and may lose his ring and pinkie fingers on both hands.

Police said a search warrant was conducted Wednesday at the fraternity’s residence and the two suspects were arrested. Tae Kim, 19, and Jeffrey Yam, 21, have been charged with hazing in the first degree, a Class A misdemeanor, according to Syracuse police.

Both suspects were released on appearance tickets and will appear in court. The two other pledging members refused to cooperate with the investigation, according to police.

The university defines hazing as any action that intentionally or recklessly poses a substantial risk of harm to the mental or physical health or safety of one or more persons. Subjecting a person or encouraging a person to commit an act that violates human dignity, the SU Code of Student Conduct or the law for the purpose of initiating, promoting or confirming affiliation with a group or organization is prohibited, according to SU’s policies.

The suspension means Nu Alpha Phi is prohibited from participating in any fraternity-affiliated activities on or off campus, Quinn said. That includes, but is not limited to, recruiting or initiating new members, hosting activities individually or in conjunction with other fraternities or sororities and engaging in activities that are supported by the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs.

There is no exact time frame for the suspension, Quinn said. The interim suspension is pending the outcome of an investigation and full resolution of any resulting conduct charges that may be filed against the group.

When asked about the incident, an individual who answered the door at 739 Ackerman Ave., the fraternity’s address, said he did not know about the hazing charges. A neighbor said he did not know about the fraternity or the charges.

There are past examples of fraternities facing suspension at SU. In 2006, Sigma Alpha Epsilon faced suspension after its pledge class “kidnapped” a brother. As a result, 10 students were referred to the Office of Judicial Affairs, now the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities, and SAE was found guilty of hazing.

Also in 2006, Zeta Psi was suspended, and ultimately shut down by its national chapter, due to an assault that took place at a closed event. Two brothers were arrested and later kicked out of the fraternity.

-Asst. News Editor Justin Mattingly and Asst. Copy Editor Danny Mantooth contributed reporting to this article.