Culture

Quench post-game thirst at these local bars, restaurants

Syracuse’s bar scene offers a wide variety of options for students, residents and visitors. From Armory Square to Marshall Street, tournament attendees can experience a wide range of drink options.

Kitty Hoynes Irish Pub & Restaurant

Kitty Hoynes Irish Pub & Restaurant offers its customers an authentic Irish experience. The bar, which earlier this month received an honorable mention for being one of the best pubs outside of Ireland, serves an array of Irish dishes and drinks.

“Not many Irish pubs are known for their food in Ireland, but we’re lucky to be the exact opposite,” said Michael John Heagerty, who has worked at Kitty Hoynes since it opened.

Even though Kitty Hoynes is normally closed on Sundays, the pub will be open this Sunday for visitors. The pub also takes pride in hosting local bands that play Irish music. Heagerty said Kitty Hoynes is at its best when live Irish music is playing.

“We’re just looking to provide them with the experience everyone gets, whether they’re a local or a traveler,” Heagerty said. “Just give a taste of Ireland in the heart of Syracuse.”

Benjamin’s on Franklin

Dancing is the center of activity at Benjamin’s on Franklin, located in Armory Square. Inside Benjamin’s is Perdition, a dance club with state-of-the-art lighting and sound.

“We are the only nightclub in downtown Syracuse,” said Joe Gridley, the bar manager at Benjamin’s. He added that Benjamin’s also specializes in bottle services.

Gridley said not a lot of people know that if they come before 11 p.m., there is no cover charge. Benjamin’s also features a courtyard within the walls of the bar where visitors can enjoy an outdoor fire pit and bar service.

Faegan’s Pub
Located just off the SU campus, Faegan’s Pub, is a family-owned bar that caters to the university population. Though it brands itself as a college bar, Faegan’s also sees a good amount of non-college customers walk through its doors on South Crouse Avenue.

“A lot of people come here for dinner or lunch, and on game days, people come here to drink. It’s just a very — I guess you would say — a very spirited place,” said Nichole Byron, a hostess at Faegan’s. “There’s a lot of spirit here.”

In addition to classic meals, Faegan’s serves more than 50 types of beers and wines.

“The other bars are not as oriented with different sporting events, and Faegan’s is one of the only places on Marshall Street where you can sit down, get a meal and then watch the game and drink after,” Byron said.

Hungry Chuck’s Cafe

Hungry Chuck’s Cafe, the most popular bar on campus, is known for its cheap beer and its student-oriented atmosphere. Upon walking in, the walls are spray-painted with names of graduated students.

The quintessential college bar is known for projecting SU sports games on a big screen and having beer specials throughout the week.

“We have extra-large big TVs. fans that don’t go to the games can come and watch it here,” bartender Cindi Sniffen said.

She said alumni, students and people looking forward to watching sporting events and love to congregate at the bar.

“It’s loud, it’s a party when there are games like these. A lot of folks are focused on the games, people yell for the games,” Sniffen said. “After the games, it’s a little crowded for dancing, but student do. It’s not a sit-down atmosphere, it’s a party atmosphere.”

“See you at Chuck’s” has become a catch phrase of sorts for students talking about the college landmark.