Pledge involved in Nu Alpha Phi hazing incident not expected to lose fingers to frostbite

The victim of a recent Nu Alpha Phi hazing incident is not expected to lose his fingers to frostbite, according to the Syracuse Police.

“As of yesterday, the victim does have blood flow to his fingers which means for now he will not lose his fingers,” said Syracuse Police Lt. Eric Carr, in an email.

Carr said the victim, who is a 20 year-old Syracuse University student, will need extensive physical therapy in order to regain use of his fingers.

The hazing incident occurred at about midnight on Sunday, when three pledges of Nu Alpha Phi were told to perform exercises at a park for approximately 20 minutes as punishment for “failing to perform their daily duties properly,” police said.

Pledges were dressed in sweatshirts, pants, boots and no gloves. The incident caused the victim severe pain in both hands and he was treated for severe frostbite at Crouse Hospital, police said.

Tae Kim, 19 and Jeffrey Yam, 21, Nu Alpha Phi members involved in the incident, have been charged with hazing in the first degree, a Class A Misdemeanor, police said.

The fraternity Nu Alpha Phi was suspended Monday, March 2 when the university first received details of the incident. The suspension means Nu Alpha Phi is prohibited from participating in any fraternity-affiliated activities on or off campus.