Men's lacrosse

Fast reaction: 3 quick takeaways from Orange’s 13-12 double-overtime loss to Fighting Irish

Logan Reidsma | Asst. Photo Editor

Syracuse attack Dylan Donahue, who scored seven goals in the Orange's loss, takes on a UND defender.

SOUTH BEND, Ind. — No. 1 Syracuse (7-1, 2-1 Atlantic Coast) fell to No. 2 Notre Dame (6-1, 2-0) 13-12 in double overtime at Arlotta Stadium on Saturday afternoon. It was the first loss of the season for the Orange. Here are three quick reactions from the game.

Donahue dominates

Dylan Donahue, almost on his own, kept Syracuse alive on Saturday. He tied the game at two with a goal that even his teammates didn’t realize had gone in the net. As the deficit grew in the second half, he scored four, including two that cut the deficit back to one.

He was fouled on a shot with 4:08 to play that set up a man-up opportunity for Tim Barber to make it 11-11.

Then with 1:06 to play, he rifled a shot from the left of the goal to give the Orange its first lead of the game.

Doss holds off SU

Just days after being named ACC Defensive Player of the week for a shutout performance against Ohio State, the Fighting Irish goalkeeper lived up to the billing. He recorded six saves in the first half alone, including one on a quickstick attempt by Nicky Galasso to keep the momentum in the Notre Dame favor.

In the second half, he wasn’t his dominant self, as Donahue helped SU get back its momentum.

With the game tied and time winding down in overtime, Donahue had a point-blank shot that Doss caught in his stick to hold off SU at the end of the first overtime.

Success at the X

Ben Williams continues to live up to the reputation that he’s quickly built for himself. All afternoon, he dominated at the X and, as a result, the Orange had more shots as well. But most of Williams’ pickups resulted in him running in the defensive zone and not on the attack.

He was crucial as the Orange made its comeback push in the second half, getting nearly every faceoff.

With SU up 12-11, P.J. Finley beat Williams and scored with less than a minute to play in regulation to tie it up. He got the faceoff to start double overtime, but the Orange couldn’t get possession after the official awarded it to Notre Dame on the backup.