Chris McCullough to reportedly return for sophomore season

Chase Gaewski | Staff Photographer

Forward Chris McCullough will return to Syracuse for his sophomore season, the Post-Standard reported on Wednesday afternoon.

Forward Chris McCullough will return to Syracuse for his sophomore season, Syracuse.com reported on Wednesday afternoon.

Earlier in the Orange’s season, McCullough had been projected as a first-round pick in the NBA Draft. He tore his right ACL on Jan. 11 against Florida State in the Carrier Dome and was ruled out for the rest of the season. He underwent surgery on Feb. 12.

“In my opinion, he made a wise decision to return to Syracuse,” said Jason Smith, McCullough’s former coach at Brewster Academy, in a text.

When he does return, McCullough will join what will likely be a crowded Syracuse frontcourt. Tyler Roberson and DaJuan Coleman are expected to return and contribute, and incoming big men Moustapha Diagne and Tyler Lydon could be in the mix as well.

In 16 games played this year, McCullough averaged 9.3 points and 6.9 rebounds in just over 28 minutes. The Orange is 18-12 and heading into its last game of the season at North Carolina State. On Wednesday, SU head coach Jim Boeheim emphasized how different the season may have been if Syracuse had McCullough, calling his injury a “devastating loss.”

“By the summertime, I’ll be able to run,” McCullough told Syracuse.com. “I won’t be able to play until probably late October, November. But in a game, I probably won’t play a game until December. I don’t want to rush it.”