NCAA Investigations

Jim Boeheim expresses relief, disappointment in statement regarding NCAA investigation and violations

Sam Maller | Staff Photographer

Jim Boeheim, in a statement released by SU Athletics on Friday, expressed disappointment and frustration toward the NCAA's decisions regarding the investigation into the SU athletic program.

After the NCAA announced the sanctions on Syracuse University Friday afternoon, men’s basketball head coach Jim Boeheim released a statement in which he expressed both relief and disappointment regarding the NCAA’s findings.

Boeheim first expressed his relief that the investigation had finally come to a close after eight years. He admitted that violations did in fact occur, as he confessed at the Committee on Infractions hearing in October, and acknowledged that the violations are very serious, in a statement released by the university.

The head coach said he is dissapointed with the NCAA in “ignoring the efforts which I have undertaken over the past 37 years to promote an atmosphere of compliance within the Men’s Basketball Program.” Boeheim calls the penalties handed down by the NCAA “unprecedented” and said they’re simply based on the “rogue” actions of a local YMCA employee and SU’s former director of basketball operations.

In the statement, Boeheim said the YMCA employee wasn’t allowed special access to the team, and that a local YMCA is a place where he was comfortable having his players spend their free time.

Boeheim continued, saying that if the findings are true regarding the YMCA employee – who Boeheim said was cleared by the Office of Athletic Compliance – then he would be deeply disappointed. Boeheim also addressed the alleged academic violations found by the NCAA, and said he “demands excellence from his student-athletes.” He added that NCAA rules prohibit him from getting involved in academic issues or reviewing athletes’ work.

He concluded his statement by saying he has no further comment, and that he’ll weigh his future options.