Syracuse hosts annual WinterFest, celebrates city history with entertainment and events

Logan Reidsma | Assistant Photo Editor

The city of Syracuse is hosting its annual WinterFest this week, which features winter-themed events that celebrate Syracuse’s rich history and cold weather.

Since its start in 1985, the festival has grown to encompass cultural, historical and entertainment events that attempt to make the freezing temperatures bearable. This year’s event is now the largest winter festival in the northeast.

While there is every reason to stay indoors instead of braving the snow and sub-zero temperatures, the festival attempts to draw locals out of their homes and join together for festivities, said Mary Beth Roach, special events director for the Syracuse Parks Department.

“The event helps you break out of the cabin fever,” she said. “By February, most people are done with winter.”

The event, now in its 30th year, will host many of its traditional activities such as the Chili Cook-Off and the Culinary Cruise around Syracuse, Roach said.

“There are a lot of old favorites,” Roach said. “Many of the traditional events will return.”

This year, events span across the city and appeal to all ages. Activities range from treasure hunts to rock ’n’ roll shows to martini mix-offs. Though some of the events, such as the ice sculpture contest, take advantage of the winter weather, others take the fun indoors and out of the cold.

The city of Syracuse has played a large role in the festival, moving snow and providing spaces for the events to take place, Roach said.

The festival this year will also have both local and corporate sponsors, many of which are providing accommodations to patrons or are participating in the event. The Centro bus system is providing transportation for the event, shuttling participants around to the various events.

“WinterFest is one we choose to get involved in because it is centered in downtown Syracuse and the weather is often very bad,” said Centro Director of Marketing and Communications Steven Koegel. “We see a genuine need for transportation for this event. It’s part of our mission.”

Other sponsors, such as the Syracuse New Times and Family Times, are simply media sponsors of the event, promoting the festival to their audiences in order to keep attendance high. WinterFest is a community event, meaning it advertises and promotes local activities and businesses. In return, many businesses advertise the event in their publications, said Jessica Luisi, sales manager of the Syracuse New Times.

“We are a weekly alternative focused on community issues, arts and entertainment, so it just makes sense for us to support the festival in any way we are able,” Luisi said.

The event is not just about celebrating the winter weather. It is about bringing the community together and showing both locals and visitors what Syracuse has to offer, even in the dead of winter, Luisi said.

“When the weather gets bad in Syracuse and the temperatures dip below zero, I think it’s a nice way to celebrate one of the elements that makes Syracuse, Syracuse,” Koegel said. “We are certainly known for our winters.”