From the Calendar

Finger Lakes offer visitors a variety of ways to explore outdoors

Courtesy of FingerLakes.org

The Finger Lakes offer outdoor enthusiasts the opportunity to embrace the natural beauty of the area. Surrounding waterfalls attract visitors to the region.

Museums, mountain vistas and waterfalls are just some of the attractions visitors to the Finger Lakes region can enjoy during every season of the year.

“It’s a very outdoors region,” said Cindy Kimble, president of the Finger Lakes Tourism Alliance. “If (students) like nature, they can always find state parks and trails around the area for hiking and biking.”

Nature enthusiasts will be able to embrace the natural beauty of the region, and families and students have the opportunity to explore central New York in depth. There are numerous state parks surrounding the perimeter of the Finger Lakes region such as the Stony Brook State Park in Dansville, Buttermilk Falls State Park in Ithaca and Fillmore Glen State Park in Moravia. Students can visit these state parks in large groups, and most parks have tent and lodge rental accommodations for those who want to go camping.

The waterfalls in the area are another reason the Finger Lakes attract so many visitors, Kimble said. Taughannock Falls is within close proximity to the region and its breathtaking views can be enjoyed during both the summer and winter, according to the New York State Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation website. As one of the highest falls in the region, Taughannock Falls is 215 feet tall and has hiking trails nearby for visitors who want to exercise while taking in the view.

Kimble added that there are several skiing destinations around the region that students can take advantage of while in the area. Bristol Mountain Ski Resort and Greek Peak Mountain Resort are hot spots for students who want to experience the outdoors during the winter seasons.

In addition to the wide selection of outdoor activities the Finger Lakes region has to offer, there are also many indoor activities students can participate in.

“Throughout the winter months we encourage visitations along the Finger Lakes’ museum trail,” said Jessica Robideau, director of marketing for the Finger Lakes Tourism Alliance.

Attractions in the museum trail include nine museums that have partnered up with the Finger Lakes Tourism Alliance. There are several special offers and discounts that vary from museum to museum that provide admission or gift shop discounts.

“The cost affordability, I think, is something to really touch on,” Robideau said. “Rates for hotels and (bed and breakfasts) are substantially lower during the weekdays.”

Robideau added that students don’t necessarily need to break the bank to enjoy a weekend getaway or Spring Break vacation in the Finger Lakes region.

“With the region covering 14 different counties and personally working with such a diverse variety of businesses, there are endless opportunities here in the Finger Lakes region for things to explore that are within close proximity to one another,” Robideau said. “There is a familiarity and friendliness in this region that is unlike any other.”

With its rich historical context, students can communicate with nature and engage in the history and culture behind the region through many different activities available to participate in.

“Being 9,000 square miles, there are options for every traveler. Depending on what the group or individual is looking for, there is such a diverse range of offerings at the Finger Lakes region,” Kimble said. “Throughout the 14 counties, I can ensure you that groups or individuals will be able to find exactly what they are looking for.”