Women's Lacrosse

Richardson prepares for expanded role as senior goalkeeper for SU

Margaret Lin | Web Developer

Kelsey Richardson split time in goal with Alyssa Costantino last season. This year, she'll likely get to play all 60 minutes.

Kelsey Richardson led a jog back and forth on the 20-yard line closest to the main entrance of the Ensley Athletic Center with a trio of Syracuse goalies. She talked to senior goalie Kristiana Ferguson as freshman goalie Melina Woon Avery trailed behind.

The goalies are under Richardson’s tutelage now. Just last season, Richardson was similarly positioned to her goalie teammates, being the pupil of Brett Queener, an assistant coach.

With Queener gone and former goalie Alyssa Costantino having graduated, Richardson has usurped a leadership role within the position group and will take over the 30 minutes she used to split with Costantino in games. During the offseason, Richardson physically and mentally prepared for the season and is set to take on a new leadership role for SU.

“Coming in … I know I have a bigger leadership role,” Richardson said. “I know that I have more responsibilities this year and I’m ready for it, I’m ready to step up.”

Three seasons ago, teammates told Richardson she had “happy feet” because she fidgeted in the net, a flaw in her technique that Queener helped to fix. For three seasons, Queener, a member of the United States men’s national lacrosse team, was used as a goalie coach.

He was tasked with helping the goalies put SU’s defense in the right position and work out the kinks in their form. Those same issues Queener helped Richardson correct over three years are similar to those that Richardson has had to help freshman Woon Avery with this season.

“Sometimes she notices small things about what I’m doing in the goal which I don’t even notice I’m doing,” Avery said. “Almost like a coach on the field.”

Avery’s development has been handicapped because she missed the fall season. Richardson has helped her with clearing the ball faster, the same problem Richardson had when transitioning from high school. Avery said the attack pressures faster and quicker than in high school.

Both Avery and Richardson said they struggled with positioning defenders. Queener emphasized to Richardson that the seven defensive players — three midfielders, three defenders and the goalie — need to move as one unit, something Richardson passed to Avery. Although Avery has learned by listening to Richardson, she’s also formed a habit of watching Richardson and picking up on tips and tricks.

While Richardson has adjusted to her new leadership role, she’s also had to become the sole starting goalie for SU. With SU’s three starting defenders from last season gone — Kasey Mock, Liz Harbeson and Natalie Glanell — Richardson is now the senior leader in the back of the defense.

After splitting 30-minute halves since the first game of her freshman year with Costantino, Richardson will now play all 60 minutes. Together, the two were able to relay tips about shooters and the opposing offense. Now, she won’t have the aid of Costantino, but she will have full games to leave her signature.

“It’s great being able to have that full game to yourself,” Richardson said.

She upped her offseason workout, using meditation techniques that she said included focusing on doing things positively, seeing herself being successful with saves and envisioning shots.

What head coach Gary Gait sees is a more confident goalie. He thinks being relied upon as the go-to goalie after the experience she’s accumulated has boosted her confidence.

And based on what Gait has seen so far, he shares in her confidence.

Said Gait: “I think she’s ready to lead this team from the defensive end and make saves.”