Graduate Student Organization

Organization discusses Syverud’s response, funding for conference

In its first meeting of the semester, the Graduate Student Organization discussed Chancellor Kent Syverud’s response to a resolution passed in December calling for an administrative investigation.

The organization reviewed its progress on a range of issues from pay and stipend increases for teaching assistants and research assistants to the requested investigation into alleged misconduct by the university administration during THE General Body’s sit-in in the fall. GSO had previously passed a resolution during a Dec. 3, 2014 meeting that requested an investigation by the university into alleged grievances committed against THE General Body protesters during the sit-in.

Syverud wrote and distributed a response last week addressing these concerns and said he found no wrongdoing on the part of university officials or THE General Body protesters. GSO President Patrick Neary spoke for the GSO Board, saying the group’s informal reaction to Syverud’s letter was positive, but they had not taken an official stance yet.

“I certainly encourage the GSO Senate to further consider the report and decide how to respond,” Neary said.

The organization also elected four new senators, and approved funding of $5,000 on the recommendation of the Finance Committee for SATSA’s 11th annual conference, which will take place in late February. SATSA is the Student Association on Terrorism and Security Analysis.

SATSA is an interdisciplinary graduate and law student association, “dedicated to the critical analysis of terrorism, counterterrorism policy and nation and international security issues,” according to its website.

The vote to fund the conference came with opposition regarding SATSA’s association with former CIA director Michael Hayden, who is listed as an invitee on the fund application and also spoke at SATSA’s 8th Annual Conference in 2012. Hayden has become a controversial public figure for his defense of the Central Intelligence Agency post-9/11 interrogation programs detailed in a recent Senate report.

“Hayden’s claims that procedures like the rectal hydration were clinical and not used for interrogation fly in the face of the torture report,” said Ben Kuebrich, a graduate student in composition and cultural rhetoric. “Are we sure we want to pay for these types of people to come here?”

Yanira Rodriguez, a GSO member who serves on the Finance Committee, voted against the funding of the SATSA conference.

“I think it’s something that should have at least been discussed before the organization blindly voted to fund it,” she said. “Also it’s a lot of money, just gone like that.”

Four new University Senators were elected from the GSO’s ranks as well. Vicky Wang, an earth sciences graduate student who served as University Liaison for the formation of an ombudsperson’s office, Evan Andrews, a Ph.D. student in the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, Brian Tacket, a philosophy graduate student, and Barakat Adeyemi, from the School of Information Studies, were all elected.

The GSO also reviewed progress on efforts to implement changes to correct “overly vague definitions of harassment” in the Electronic Harassment policy, monitor and ensure administration compliance with the Sexual Assault Workgroup, find and hire an ADA coordinator and stay involved with the Chancellor’s Fast Forward Academic Strategic Plan as it unfolds between now and March.

Additionally, Department Sen. Peta Long used the GSO forum to promote the interests of the National Association of Graduate-Professional Students, of which the GSO is a five-year member. NAGPS goals include affordable textbooks, affordable research opportunities and other large institutional reforms.

The Jan. 22 article “Organization discusses Syverud’s response, funding for conference,” misstated several facts. GSO reviewed policies regarding research assistants; Patrick Neary said the GSO Senate should further consider the report; Vicky Wang is the university liaison for the formation of an ombudsperson’s office; and Yanira Rodriguez is a GSO member. The Daily Orange regrets these errors.